Personally, I don't spend much time at the beach. But I do spend a lot of time traveling (just one of the many perks that comes with living in Italy). I love my heartbreaking books as much as anyone, but I have lost count of the number of times I have cried on a plane or a train because I insisted on reading one of those sad books. No one wants that, right?
This is a list of great books that you can take to the beach or the pool or the mountains or a plane or wherever and your heart will not be ripped into a million pieces. Save those for when you are home alone in bed. These books will make you laugh or make you swoon. They will not make you cry and they will not break your heart and they don't even require a lot of thought because the plots aren't super complicated.
1. Denton Little's Death Date by Lance Rubin - I didn't think a book about a boy who knows the exact date he is going to die would be funny, but it really was!
2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - I love this story. It's super cute and no heartbreak is involved.
3. Only in Naples: Lessons in food and famiglia from my Italian mother-in-law by Katherine Wilson - I may be slightly biased since I live in Naples, but I loved this book! All the talk of food made me hungry and I could relate to the author's attempts to adapt to Italian culture so much. I laughed many times while reading this book. Plus, the author includes authentic Italian recipes from her mother-in-law. Bonus!
4. Don't Get Caught by Kurt Dinan - This was a very cute and funny story about a group of outcasts trying to out-prank a legendary group of pranksters.
5. The Chocolate Thief (Amour et Chocolat #1) by Laura Florand - Chocolate + Paris = love. This one is part of a series and you can read each one of them as a stand-alone. This first one is my absolute favorite though.
6. This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper - Another book that made me laugh out loud! This family is so crazy dysfunctional and yet, they totally have each other's backs.
7. Forever and One Week (Spirits of Saoradh #2) by Caroline Cairn - I just discovered this author and I am so glad. I received a copy from the author in exchange for feedback and I was totally amazed at how good this story was. This book is a combination of fantasy and romance. You could almost say it's a retelling of Aladdin. Even though this is a series, you can totally read this one as a stand alone.
8. The Virgin Romance Novelist by Meghan Quinn - I bought this one on a total whim. It was recommended to me by a family member. A woman struggling to write her romance novel realizes she should lose her virginity for, you know, "the book." Ha. This is a hilarious book. I loved all the honesty her friends gave her about sex.
9. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson - Very cute book about friendship. Love this one!
10. The Princess Bride by William Goldman - I couldn't possibly leave this one off the list. It made me smile the entire time I was reading it.
I will be going back to the States next month, so I will be on a long international flight. Does anyone have any good recommendations of books that won't make me cry during the flight?