Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Scary Books

This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. They feature a different top ten list every week. This week's topic is my top ten scary novels. I don't actually read horror books very much, so most of these are more creepy and chill inducing than scary.

1. Dismember by Daniel Pyle - I am so glad I did not read this at night. It's about a madman who kidnaps a boy to try and replace his family that was killed in a car accident when he was younger. This book was legitimately terrifying and I was freaked out by the ending. When I asked the author by Twitter if there would ever be a sequel, he said "Maybe someday." Sigh. I will be waiting.
2. The Barter by Siobhan Adcock - This ghost story was super creepy. I read it at night and had the urge to turn on my bedroom light because I was freaked out. 
3. The Uninvited by Cat Winters - A book about a girl who can see ghosts of loved ones before someone dies. The ending to this one gave me serious chills.
4. The Wayward Pines series by Blake Crouch - The conclusion to this series is the only book ever that was causing my heart to beat so fast that I just had to put it down to calm myself . . . then I immediately had to pick it up again to see what happens. The action doesn't really pick up until the second book, but it is the third book where the monsters show up. Yeah, these monsters or animals or whatever they were called were terrifying.
5. The Gone series by Michael Grant - Can I just live inside Michael Grant's head please? Mutated worm creatures, a kid who can fry other people's brains, parasitic bugs that eat people from the inside out, a boy who comes back from the dead with a mutant arm that he uses to whip people . . . yeah, that is just the tip of the iceberg. 
6. This Is Not A Test and Please Remain Calm by Courtney Summers - This is one duology you will not want to miss. Think The Walking Dead, but with teenagers. A virus infects society and turns people into zombies. One bite and you are affected. These books were high speed action from beginning to end. No one is safe and man, those zombies are freaking terrifying. I am still reeling from the ending.
7. Sister by Rosamund Lupton - A mystery about a woman trying to locate her missing sister. The ending of this book had a huge twist and it still gives me chills to think about it.
8. Alice by Christina Henry - This is not the sweet story from childhood. No, this is dark and twisted. Believe me when I say you would not want to come upon the Caterpillar in a dark alley.
9. You by Caroline Kepnes - Undoubtedly, this was the creepiest one I have read this year. It tells the POV of a stalker, Joe, who will do anything to get his obsession, Beck. It will also make you think twice about every single social media post.
10. Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne - Does anyone else find identical twins just a little bit creepy. Okay, how about a story where one twin dies and then the surviving daughter starts saying they made a mistake when they identified the body of her sister? Yeah, this one is creepy and disturbing as hell. The ending was kind of insane.



What are some of your favorite scary books?

29 comments :

  1. Great list! I enjoyed Gone, but I think I'd be mildly frightened to spend some time rummaging around Michael Grant's head, especially without knowing what I'd find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I think I would be terrified to be inside his head. Michael Grant is a terrifying genius!

      Delete
  2. You!!! So creepy. Made me rethink how I act on social media a bit. I have Wayward Pines bur I haven't gotten to it yet. I didn't realize it was kind of scary. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! The final book in Wayward Pines was scarier than the rest. I don't want to give too much away since you haven't read it, but it had my heart pumping so hard.

      Delete
  3. Ooh so many creepy books! I have heard good things about You. I don't know if it would creep me out too much though! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrissi, oh you MUST read You!! It was such an incredible book. I love it!

      Delete
  4. I actually haven't read any of these books! I usually don't read creepy books, but there are some on here that I'm thinking about checking out. I'll have to read them during the middle of the day!

    Lizzie @ http://bigbooksandgrandelattes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzie, I don't normally seek out creepy books but sometimes they just find me. Ha. I really hope you read a few of these. Every book on this list was so good!

      Delete
  5. I so want to read The Uninvited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily, oh you really should. It was so good! It was my first Cat Winters book, but definitely not my last. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Carrie, Sister was really, really good. The ending was such a surprise. I hope you can read it one day.

      Delete
  7. They all appeal to me. Can't go wrong with Crouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I had never read Blake Crouch before, but I need to read more of his work. Wayward Pines was so good!

      Delete
  8. Awesome list! I read The Uninvited recently, and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Yes, The Uninvited was amazing. I need to read more Cat Winters.

      Delete
  9. Thanks Captivated Reader! So happy I can add to your TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing list, Cynthia! I haven't read Dismember, but wow - it does sound like something that should never be read at night :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramona! Yeah, read that one during the day for sure.

      Delete
  11. I read This Is Not A Test but I didn't know there was a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The uninvited has been on my list forever and I want to read it so bad. Hmm...hopefully soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous list!! Now I am extra mad at myself for forgetting to put The Uninvited on basically every Halloween list I made. Can I change some? I bet it isn't too late! (Literally changing a post RIGHT NOW because I need that one on my list- it was so great!) Now that I am done distracting myself, I REALLY need to finish the Gone series. Have you read them all? AND I need to read This is Not a Test. Goodness, I OWN all of these!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, YES I have read the entire Gone series. I think I read all six books in about three or four days. The weakest book of the series was #3, I think. But the rest of the books were really, really good. I didn't want it to end. And shame on you for leaving off The Uninvited. You are the one who told me how great that one was! Speaking of which, I need to read other stuff by Cat Winters for sure.

      Delete
  14. This is Not a Test is my favorite Zombie novel, and my first introduction to Summers. I have loved her books ever since. Also, I have The Uninvited, and I am sad I wasn't able to read it by Halloween time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I absolutely love every book that Summers has written. I love that she can write contemporary novels that are just as well written as her dystopian ones. And I hope you get to read The Uninvited soon. It was so good!

      Delete
  15. Sooo I'm not a big fan of horror books and I didn't think I'd know any of the ones you listed, but I've read The Uninvited by Cat Winters! And I LOVE IT. In fact, all of Cat Winter's books are bomb. Everything else, well, haha I wouldn't try. :P I'm too much of a scaredy-cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Aila, I don't read too many horror books either. I was surprised that I had read as many creepy books as I had. And I really need to read other stuff by Cat Winters. I LOVED The Uninvited, so I am sure I would love her other stuff as well.

      Delete