Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Book Series I Quit!

This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. They feature a different top ten list every week. For this week's topic, I am focusing on the top ten series that I quit.

For the most part, I am really good at finishing a book series that I start . . . if I like it. But if I don't like the first one, I have no problem with stopping there. I have too many book series to read that I have no time to waste on the bad ones. These are the ones that I have no problem quitting.
1. Twisted Tales by Liz Braswell - I know every book in the series is supposed to be a retelling of a different story. But since A Whole New World was a bit boring and bland, I don't have the urge to read any more.

2. Metamorphoses by Sarah McCarry - I actually read the third book in this series and I wasn't lost because of it. But most of it was boring and I just didn't like the characters. I had no urge to read any of the others in the series.

3. The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - I didn't hate this series. I just found it a bit unrealistic and I had no connection with any of the characters.

4. Study by Maria V. Snyder - I actually reread Poison Study so I could read the others in the series. Then I remembered why I didn't continue the series. The plot was interesting, but I actually found the characters a bit bland.

5. Once Upon A Crime Family by Tiffany Schmidt - Hold Me Like A Breath had its moments, but the main character was too whiny for me to want to read more about her.

6. Clone Chronicles by Heather Hildenbrand - A book about cloning that just made me mad. So much potential . . . wasted.


7. Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton - This book was all over the placed. There were so many unanswered questions, but I was just so confused (and a bit bored) that I have no interest in continuing the story to see if my questions ever get answered.

8. Hunter by Mercedes Lackey - This is the only book on the list that I couldn't even finish. I was 25% of the way through it and I still had no idea what was going on. I know there is supposed to be a lot of world building in first books, but this was just too much. And something about the writing style just turned me off.

9. Terrestrials by Gretchen Powell - This is the only book on this list I actually felt like throwing across the room. And I would have if not for the fact that it was on my Kindle. It was boring, there was no suspense, and then when the mystery was revealed, I was equal parts amused and furious. No way am I reading the next one in that series.

10. Dead Girl by Linda Joy Singleton - A book about a girl who has a near death experience and winds up in someone else's body. There was a lot of potential and it had its moments. But towards the end, it just got weird.


Are there any series you didn't feel like finishing? Did you agree with any on this list?

38 comments :

  1. Imitation has a cool cover, too bad it was a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, Greg. This was one of those times I regretted choosing a book based on its cover.

      Delete
  2. I actually haven't read any of the ones you listed. I can totally stop at reading one book though if it isn't worth my time -even if I thought it was ok. I can't think of any right now but I know I have had some within the past year. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! Most of the time, I feel the need to read the entire series. But lately, I have been realizing how crazy that is. I am working hard to finish series that I actually like. I have no time to waste on the ones that I don't.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ha, Deb. Really? If I love it, I have to finish it!

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of any of these but now I know to stay away! I have issues putting down books even if I don't like them so I always like a warning :)

    My TTT http://wp.me/p3ftwe-Ks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jazmin! If you have that issue, then stay away from these for sure. :)

      Delete
  5. Agree with quite a few of these, but sorry you didn't get along with 'The Fixer' and 'The Study Series', I love those two!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosy. Yeah, I know I am in the minority with both of those. It wasn't that I hated them; I just didn't love them. Both of them were just meh for me. I'm glad you enjoyed them. :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of these books, and some of them I was already unsure of reading. I've DNFed so few books, it's hard to remember the titles.

    My TTT

    Lizzie @ Big Books and Grande Lattes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzie, yeah I had to go to Goodreads for the names of the series I quit. If the first ones weren't very memorable, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the series, right?

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of these, although I've had the Study books on my shelf for years. Guess I don't need to rush to read them any time soon! I've quit a whole bunch of series lately, especially when I might have liked the first book, but don't care enough by the time a sequel comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, yeah it isn't too often that I just don't care about what happens next. I would rush to read the Study series, but then again, some people liked it.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read any of those but the boring plot or dull characters is an issue throughout so many books I've touched these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, oh yeah that is such a problem. If the plot or characters are dull, then what is the point??

      Delete
  9. Happy to report I only contemplated reading three of these, and in the end I didn't even bother with those. The good news is ... plenty of other fish in the sea, right? :) Love your list, Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad you could not get into the Study series! But I get your feeling I had quit a lot of books because of the characters.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariela, yeah I know a lot of people liked the Study series, but I just couldn't get into it.

      Delete
  11. I haven't read any of these books Cynthia! They don't particularly intrigue me though, so I don't think I'm missing much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so bad at DNFing books. You're so right though - there's not enough time for crappy books! I am actually very surprised that you didn't like the Study series by Snyder! Everyone seems to love it. I haven't read it yet, but I'm glad I've got another perspective in case I don't like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bargainbookbliss, oh I know I am in the minority with the Study series. It wasn't bad, I just didn't connect with any of the characters. I certainly hope you enjoy it more than I did.

      Delete
  13. I have not read any of these myself, oh well it happens...some will love em, others not so much. Everyones taste is different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Lily. Some people may love these series. They just weren't for me.

      Delete
  14. we should always give ourselves the freedom to quit books we aren't enjoying :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only one I've even READ on this list is Maria V Snyder and I read her other book (omg what is it even called?! The one about the healer...) and I did NOT like it at all. I mean, I should've. It was a bit funny and fantastical and stuff but GAH. NOPE. I feel no interest in picking up more of her books sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cait, I am so glad someone else doesn't like Maria V. Snyder books. It seems that so many people love everything she's done. I didn't hate this one, but I certainly don't feel the urge to pick up any more of her stuff.

      Delete
  16. Hi! Unfortunately, I always finish a series. I'm too worried about what I might miss. haha.
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LH27, haha. I understand that. Most of the time, I do that as well. But sometimes, I just don't care enough about the characters to find out what happens.

      Delete
  17. Oooh I am sad about Hunter. I have that one, and was really excited for it. But I doubt I will like it because... well we're twinsies. I feel you with Seeker. I hope someone else will read it and tell me what happens! Same with Hold Me Like a Breath (man, that was one craptastic book). And I am SO glad that the blogosphere saved me from A Whole New World. Soooo glad.
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, OMG yes, I think I need to seek out spoilers about the Seeker series (see what I did there. ha). And I actually saw ONE good review of A Whole New World from a blogger. Every other review was a negative one. So sad, but I am glad you were spared.

      Delete
  18. "Hunter by Mercedes Lackey"

    That book ruined me for a while. I was so blown away by the immaturity of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, okay I was scared you were going to say it ruined you in a good way and then I would feel bad for DNF'ing it. I am glad to know I didn't miss anything!

      Delete
  19. The only one of these I've read is Poison Study, which I enjoyed. I still haven't finished the series, though. Add it to my list ...

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I am glad you enjoyed that one! It was just only okay for me, which is probably why I decided not to read any more. :)

      Delete