1. Paperweight by Meg Haston - A very emotional book about a girl suffering from an eating disorder. Best part: NO ROMANCE!!
2. All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven - Violet is suffering from depression and Finch is suffering from a mental illness as well (no spoilers). I was a sobbing mess at the end of this book.
3. Underwater by Marisa Reichardt - A story about a girl suffering from agoraphobia. I had a few issues with the ending, but it was still a very unique story.
4. Made You Up by Francesca Zappia - Alex suffers from Schizophrenia. Such an engrossing book. The author did a great job with the symptoms of this one.
5. Your Voice Is All I Hear by Leah Scheier - Jonah suffers from Schizophrenia. One of the things this author did really well was to challenge all the stigmatizations that people with this disease can endure from other people.
6. Damsel Distressed by Kelsey Macke - Imogen suffers from depression and binge eating disorder. She also cuts herself. This author did an amazing job with the symptoms that Imogen was feeling. Such a powerful story.
7. Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone - The main character in this book suffers from OCD.
9. Alice and the Fly by James Rice - This book is narrated by Greg, who has Schizophrenia. Greg is the most unreliable narrator ever and it was incredible to be inside the head of someone suffering from this disease. And by incredible, I mean devastating.
10. I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios - Josh is suffering from PTSD after returning from Afghanistan. We need more books about this issue! This one was a great start though.
11. Dancing On Broken Glass by Ka Hancock - I added this one as a bonus because I read it way before I started this blog and I don't talk about it that much. That is such a shame because I loved it so much! A moving story about a woman with a devastating family history of cancer and a man who suffers from Bipolar disorder. They are married and make the difficult decision to never have children because of their histories. Naturally, she gets pregnant. This book made me cry so hard, especially when reading about all of the times he has to be put in an institution due to his disease.
What are a few of your favorite books on mental illness?