Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Review: Now A Major Motion Picture by Cori McCarthy

SynopsisIris Thorne wants to blaze her own path. That's easier said than done when you're the granddaughter of M. E. Thorne, famous author of the Elementia series, hailed as the feminist response to J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. And with a major motion picture adaptation of her grandmother's books in the works, Iris can say goodbye to her dream of making her own way in the music industry. So when Iris and her brother get invited to the film set in Ireland, she's pretty sure the trip will be a nightmare. Except Iris can't deny the rugged beauty of the Irish countryside. And brushing shoulders with the hot, young cast isn't awful, especially the infuriatingly charming lead, Eamon O'Brien. Iris even finds the impassioned female director inspiring. But when the filming falls into jeopardy, everything Iris thought she knew about Elementia—and herself—is in question. Will making a film for the big screen help Iris to see the big picture?

This was a beautifully written book. I absolutely loved the setting of Ireland -- the author did a great job of making me want to visit that incredible country. I think one of the reasons this wasn’t a five star read for me was that Iris was a hard character to like. Don’t get me wrong, I understood why she was so angry and afraid. But all the negativity was just a bit much to take at times. Her brother, Ryder, was so incredibly adorable and I hated that she took her anger out at him sometimes and blamed him for things that weren't his fault. I did think she really grew as a character and I loved that she started to realize she had to follow her dreams and not those of her dad. I love character growth and the author did a great job with that. Her dad seemed like a real jerk, since he hated Fantasy books and tried to make his children hate them and since he pretty much left the raising of his son to his daughter. But surprisingly, he grew a bit as well. This book as a whole did grow on me. I loved the relationships and the making of the movie.

This was a four star read for me! I will definitely be reading more from this author. 

No comments :

Post a Comment