Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Ruth Ware: Fan or Not a Fan?


Synopsis: Nora hasn't seen Clare for ten years. Not since Nora walked out of school one day and never went back. Until, out of the blue, an invitation to Clare’s hen do arrives. Is this a chance for Nora to finally put her past behind her? But something goes wrong. Very wrong. Some things can’t stay secret for ever

Is anyone else a fan of Ruth Ware? I have to admit that I am not. This is the second book I have read by her and both were three star reads for me. The first book I read by her was The Woman In Cabin 10. I thought that one was slow and too much like Girl on a Train, except on a ship. Well this premise was fairly original, but still very, very slow.

Actually, I think this one was even slower than The Woman in Cabin 10 -- most of the book revolved around a hen party for Clare, who was Nora's best friend as a child and those scenes just weren't that interesting. The author lets the reader know right away that something bad happened at the hen party and that is what intrigued me right off the bat. The initial scene of Nora running through the woods was very intriguing. The problem is that after that, nothing really happened, aside from a little leftover drama from when the characters were young. There wasn't any suspense until there were a little over a hundred pages left in the book. At that time, I did become engaged again and it was hard to put down. Even though I had guessed part of the twist, there were still a few surprises. But because I was not that invested during much of the story, I had to give it just three stars. I think this one was it for me. No more Ruth Ware.

Are you a fan of Ruth Ware?

No comments :

Post a Comment