Wednesday, February 18, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

This is a review for Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. I am reviewing this as part of my Banned Books Challenge

Some Pig. Humble. Radiant. These are the words in Charlotte's web, high up in Zuckerman's barn. Charlotte's spiderweb tells of her feelings for a little pig named Wilbur, who simply wants a friend. They also express the love of a girl named Fern, who saved Wilbur's life when he was born the runt of his litter.

I can't believe I have never read this book. I must have had a very deprived childhood. <Cue sad violin music here> The good thing about this Banned Book Challenge is that it is introducing me to books I have not read before. And some of these are great rereads from when I was younger. It is great reliving my youth with some of these books. I wonder if the people who ban or challenge books realize that it just makes people more determined to read them. Hmm . . . 

So this book was all hugs and rainbows and sunshine . . . . until, you know, the death. I am not sure if I could have appreciated just how beautiful this book was as a child. I mean, I am sure I would have liked it. What's not to like about talking farm animals? I thought the book would be more about the relationship between Fern and Wilbur, but it really wasn't. It was more about friendship between Wilbur and Charlotte. Wilbur is super lovable and Charlotte is very wise. I loved how Charlotte was the hero of the story, despite the fact that she was a spider. It's easy to make a hero out of a loveable pig or even a dog or another barnyard animal. It is difficult to make a hero out of a spider, which is something that most people fear and see as something that needs to be gotten rid of. I really liked Templeton the rat. He was lazy and sarcastic and gluttonous, but I still loved him. I imagine he cared about Charlotte and Wilbur deep down. I loved everything about this book!

Buy/Borrow/Skip: Buy!

12 comments :

  1. This is one of my favorite kids' books ever. I mean, it has one of the best first lines in the history of books. And I can't believe it was banned?! I didn't know that!

    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, not only is it banned but it is ranked #13 out of 100 on the most banned/challenged classics list! How crazy is that?? Such an innocent and wonderful book.

      Delete
  2. Awwww. One of my favorites! Such a beautiful book -- I'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book as a kid! I'm glad you also loved it! It's always good to hear that those books you never read as a kid still hold as much value when you read them for the first time as an adult. That's the sign of a great book!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassi, yes you are so right! I love reading these children's books as an adult. Whether I have read them before or not, it's awesome to see how my adult eyes perceive it. I am sure I would have loved this one as a child.

      Delete
  4. This was one of my favourite books as a kid! I had no idea it was a banned book. I'm so glad you finally got a chance to read it! (Better late than never, right?) I wonder if it would hold up for me as a re-read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You should give it another read. It is interesting when you read books you loved as a child again as an adult. I am sure I would have loved this one as a child too. :)

      Delete
  5. I have not read this book either, though I have watched so many different movie adaptations of this book I feel like if I read it nothing would be different. But the movies are so good I really should read the book. I had no idea this book was banned what is the reasoning behind that?

    I also wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Versatile Bloggers Award

    http://rocki21.blogspot.com/2015/02/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raquel, I recently saw the movie version that had Julia Roberts as Charlotte. While I was reading the book, I kept hearing Julia Roberts's voice. Ha. And thank you so much for nominating me for the award!

      Delete
  6. This review brings me so many memories from my childhood! Maybe it's time for a reread haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thebookishgod, oh yes I definitely recommend a reread. Haha

      Delete