Friday, February 20, 2015

Friday Finds


Friday Finds is a weekly meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading, where we show off books we recently added to our TBR list or books we recently purchased, borrowed, etc.

I am very excited about a couple of ARCs that I got approved for this week, both from NetGalley.

The first one is White Gardenia by Belinda Alexandra - I actually started this one today. I am only one chapter in, but I am HOOKED. Fingers crossed it can keep me interested for all 480 pages. 

Synopsis: In a district of the city of Harbin, a haven for White Russian families since Russia’s Communist Revolution, Alina Kozlova must make a heartbreaking decision if her only child, Anya, is to survive the final days of World War II. White Gardenia sweeps across cultures and continents, from the glamorous nightclubs of Shanghai to the austerity of Cold War Soviet Russia in the 1960s, from a desolate island in the Pacific Ocean to a new life in post-war Australia. Both mother and daughter must make sacrifices, but is the price too high? Most importantly of all, will they ever find each other again? Rich in historical detail and reminiscent of stories by Kate Morton and Lucinda Riley, White Gardenia is a compelling and beautifully written tale about yearning, longing, and the lengths a mother will go to protect her child.


The second one is Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill

Synopsis: Where women are created for the pleasure of men, beauty is the first duty of every girl. In Louise O'Neill's world of Only Every Yours women are no longer born naturally, girls (called "eves") are raised in Schools and trained in the arts of pleasing men until they come of age. Freida and Isabel are best friends. Now, aged sixteen and in their final year, they expect to be selected as companions--wives to powerful men. All they have to do is ensure they stay in the top ten beautiful girls in their year. The alternatives--life as a concubine, or a chastity (teaching endless generations of girls)--are too horrible to contemplate. But as the intensity of final year takes hold, the pressure to be perfect mounts. Isabel starts to self-destruct, putting her beauty--her only asset--in peril. And then into this sealed female environment, the boys arrive, eager to choose a bride. Freida must fight for her future--even if it means betraying the only friend, the only love, she has ever known.

I am so excited for both of those, but especially Only Ever Yours. I had preordered that one, but now I don't have to spend my own money! 

Did you acquire any new books this week?

12 comments :

  1. I do think the premise for Only Ever Yours is very clever but it sounds like it may be quite a disconcerting read... Here are my FFs https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/02/20/friday-finds-february-20/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Cleo. And I have heard mixed reviews about the end. But with a book like this, I am not sure I expect a totally happy ending.

      Delete
  2. I'll be adding White Gardenia to my reading wishlist!! I like novels having to do with Russia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captivated Reader, I just started White Gardenia today. I have only read one chapter, but man I am HOOKED! I just hope it keeps up that momentum through the whole book. I hope you enjoy it also.

      Delete
  3. White Gardenia sounds truly good! I saw it on Edelweiss but did not have time to read ARC :/ I hope you will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucia! I am enjoying it so far, but it is only the first chapter. Hopefully I will like the rest. :)

      Delete
  4. ONLY EVER YOURS! Yes. Yes and yes. It is NOT an easy book to read, and it may destroy you, but my goodness, I think it is such an important book. Truly, I cannot say enough about Louise's amazing writing style, and the points she makes in this book. I reviewed it, and I can't say I LIKED it, because you can't like it... but it is amazing.
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I can't wait to read that one. The premise reminds me of The Handmaid's Tale, which I loved. Looking forward to reading that one.

      Delete
  5. White Gardenia has me curious as does Only Ever Yours..it looks like it offers one heck of a ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kimba, I am excited about both of them, I have started White Gardenia and it had me hooked from the first chapter.

      Delete
  6. Omg you're in for a wild wild time with Only Ever Yours. THAT DESTROYED ME EMOTIONALLY. It was amazing but it was awful, if that makes any sense. xD I had to hide it while I was reading it though because my family kept going, "Why are you reading about barbie dolls? Gee you're lame." While I'm sitting there going "ACTUALLY IT'S ABOUT A FUTURISTIC WORLD WERE WOMEN ARE TREATED AS OBJECTS AND THERE'S SO MUCH MENTAL DISORDERS AND DEATH." They still think I'm weird. -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Cait that is so funny. And that is why I love my Kindle. No one can tell what I am reading! I am so, so excited for Only Ever Yours. I can't wait. :)

      Delete