Sunday, February 22, 2015

Comic Book Review: Bob's Burgers

I know I have said that I don't judge other people's taste in reading, but I have a secret confession to make: I have judged people who read comic books. I always thought the only people who read them were nerds or I thought they were for people who didn't really like to read. I know, I know. I am a book snob who says she is not a book snob. Sad. The good news is that I am a comic book snob no more!

But I have two challenges I am participating in that are forcing me to go out of my comfort zone a bit: my New to You Challenge hosted by Herding Cats and Burning Soup and Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge. I was very lucky to be approved for Bob's Burgers Comics by NetGalley.

I spent a lot of time trying to decide which collection of comic books I should read. When I found out Bob's Burgers had a collection available, I was sold. I am not sure if anyone has ever seen the show, but it is freaking hilarious. Yes, I am in my 30's and I watch some animated shows. I love this show almost as much as Family Guy and that's saying something.

Bob's Burgers is about a married couple who owns a hamburger place. Bob and Linda have three children: Tina, Louise and Gene. Let me tell you, those children are awesome. Gene is super sweet, funny and kind of dopey. Louise is super sarcastic (I relate to her the most). Tina is struggling through puberty by writing her own short stories that often involve guy's butts. Ha. I love her stories.

The comics have three different stories in them, each by one of the children. Linda's are oThe only stories I found weak in the comics were Gene's. That is a shame because he is the funniest on the show. But his stories were set to music (had to use my imagination for the melody) and they didn't really go anywhere. Tina's stories were my favorite. There is one called "Franken-butt." Ha, loved that one so much. I loved reading these comics. The hardest part though was the fact that there were pictures along with the dialogue. Yes that was a tough part of the comic book reading. I tended to forget that the pictures contributed to the story just as much as the dialogue.



Buy/Borrow/Skip: If you enjoy comic books, Buy!

Have you guys ever read comic books?

4 comments :

  1. I have! I love comic books/graphic novels, and manga on top of reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Breana! I am starting to see the appeal of comics. :)

      Delete
  2. I read comic books/graphic novels from time to time, but have not really endeavoured to explore the books in this series a bit more. I think they're fun, quirky and sometimes, intense! I'm glad you're shedding your former inhibitions regarding comic books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyous Reads! I don't know that I would be a regular reader of comics. But I could see myself reading them occasionally for something different.

      Delete