Wednesday, February 4, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: I'll Meet You There By Heather Demetrios

This is a book review for I'll Meet You There By Heather Demetrios. 

If seventeen-year-old Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing standing between straightedge Skylar and art school are three minimum-wage months of summer. Skylar can taste the freedom—that is, until her mother loses her job and everything starts coming apart. Torn between her dreams and the people she loves, Skylar realizes everything she’s ever worked for is on the line. Nineteen-year-old Josh Mitchell had a different ticket out of Creek View: the Marines. But after his leg is blown off in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be. What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s dusty Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and soon, something deeper.

This book deserves all the hype it has been getting and so much more. If you only read one contemporary book this year, I think it should be this one. This book was emotionally draining in the best possible way. I am in love with this author now. She was so good at describing the intricacies of a small town, everything from the sights and smells to the gossiping and drinking. There was one part of the book where I could swear I smelled the cigarette smoke in Skylar's home. 

And the characters were so perfectly developed. Everyone was flawed, which made them easier to relate to. I could relate to Skylar so much, the way she had to grow up way too fast, the way she had to take care of her mother, the way she just wanted to get out of the small town she thought of as more of a prison. When she meets Josh, a man who just got back from a tour with the Marines in which he lost his leg, an instant friendship forms. These are two people who are hurt and broken. I really liked that the author took the time to build a friendship and a bond between these two characters. It wasn't love at first sight, which is good because a character like Skylar would have resisted that anyway. I loved that Skylar didn't treat Josh as someone who needed to be coddled. She joked about his leg, stood up for herself when he was acting like a jerk, and gave him slack when he needed it. Josh went through a lot in the war and he showed a lot of symptoms of PTSD. He made some questionable decisions in the book, but I forgave them because he was suffering. Ultimately, Skylar forgave him too. The author did a great job of writing about Josh's experience in the war and the loss of his leg. Even the sexual scene between Skylar and Josh had a lot of realism to him. Most authors would shy away from messy, realistic aspects of love with a veteran. Heather Demetrios is not one of those authors. In her acknowledgements, she talks about her family's history with the Marines and how much research went into this book. It shows. I think the acknowledgements were almost as good as the book and that is saying something since I loved this book so much. 

Buy/Borrow/Skip: Buy!!

24 comments :

  1. I definitely want to read this one soon! I've heard nothing but good things about it, which is definitely a plus. It's really cool that the author's background could relate to the story too. I'll definitely be looking for I'll Meet You There soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that youngwriterscafe. It is such a good book!

      Delete
  2. I'd really like to read this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is definitely on my BUY list this week. Every time I see a review, it shows a different facet that just makes me crave it even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyous Reads! It is so awesome that every single person has loved this book. I really think you will too.

      Delete
  4. I loved Heather's last book and have def been keeping an eye on this one and so far I like the reviews I've seen! She was fantastic at character building in her last book so I'm glad this is still the case. Highly character driven books are my fav! Wonderful review, Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giselle! I actually haven't read any of the author's other books, but I will check them out for sure.

      Delete
  5. Happy to hear this book lived up to the hype!
    I've picked up her other book but haven't had the chance to read it, I'm definitely excited to check out both books! Great review (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyn! I haven't read any of her other stuff but after reading this one, I am anxious to.

      Delete
  6. I love when an unexpected story line/author/genre you would ever read fully enraptures you :) I'll look into this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia! I am sure you will enjoy this one just as much as I did.

      Delete
  7. What a great review, you've made me want to read this book even though on the face of it, it isn't one I'd normally pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do enjoy contemporary and I love small town settings. If you are saying this is a must read, then I'll make sure that I do! Lovely review Cynthia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Trish it is a must read! I am sure you will love it, especially if you love small town settings.

      Delete
  9. Everyone loves this, and I feel like I am missing out. Wonderful review, I will have to pick this up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimba, I hope you are able to read it soon. I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  10. I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't read anything by this author yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if it makes you feel any better, this was the first book I read by this author. Ha. I hope you are able to read it soon. It is so good!

      Delete
  11. Ooo okay. So far every review I've read has just loved this one. Yall are tempting me something fierce. I love that cover too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Anna you must read it. You will love it!!

      Delete
  12. I did buy this book and I'm so glad I did! Now I just need to make the time to read it!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad Nicole! I have a feeling you will love it. :)

      Delete