Monday, February 16, 2015

It's Monday. What are YOU Reading?


It's Monday, what are you reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey to share what you have read over the past week and what our plans are for the upcoming week.

So it looks like I am out of my reading slump, which makes me happy. I managed to complete five books last week. Woo-hoo! I love reading!

Here is what I read last week:

I read two books for my Banned Books Challenge: Blubber by Judy Blume (see here for my review) and Charlotte's Web by E.B. White (review coming soon).

I also completed Not A Drop To Drink by Mindy McGinnis (one of my favorites! click here for my review), Positively Beautiful by Wendy Mills (click here for my review), and My Heart And Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga.

Here is what I am reading now:

I am reading two eARCs I received from NetGalley: Imitation by Heather Hildenbrand and How I Shed My Skin: Unlearning lessons from a racist childhood by Jim Grimsley

I am also listening to an audio book. This is only the second attempt at an audio book in my life and I am doing it for Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge.

Audio books have always been a challenge for me, but I have chosen To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, which is narrated by Sissy Spacek. I love Sissy Spacek so much and I am really enjoying her narration of this book. The book is even better since the last time I read it, which was years ago. Now that Harper Lee is publishing a sequel, it is the perfect time to get to know these wonderful characters all over again!

What I Will Be Reading Next:

I believe the next two books up on my TBR are: Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood and Cinder by Marissa Meyer (oh yes, I will FINALLY start this series!). And more than one person has told me that the sequel to Not A Drop To Drink is amazing, so I am going to buy this book and read it soon! Since I am reading (and listening) to three books at one time, it is hard to say exactly when I will start these two books.

What are you reading right now? Have you finished any great books lately?

27 comments :

  1. Currently reading Starstruck by Cyn Balog. Not as into it as I'd like. The books I've read so far this month have been pretty good, nothing too heavy, I wanted to get through a few short novels before settling in to my bigger works. Next up is I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, which I'm very excited for and didn't realize there was a movie adaption and that it stars Rose Bryne.
    I have a big goal stack ready for March, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I Capture The Castle is going to be made into a movie?/ With Rose Byrne?? That is awesome. I need to read that one!

      Delete
    2. Lol, apparently they made the movie in 2003. I am seriously behind the times. I have a state-of-emergency induced snow day tomorrow, so hopefully I can get to the book.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh you read My Heart and Other Black Holes! HOW WAS IT???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie, it was really GOOD. I am still trying to get some of my thoughts together and I will be putting together a review soon. But I really liked it.

      Delete
  3. Hard to believe that Charlotte's Web is on banned book lists! Crazy world.

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Deb, it is so crazy!! Banning books is crazy anyway, but Charlotte's Web is so innocent.

      Delete
  4. How I Shed my Skin sounds like it could be interesting, Blubber was one of my fav books as a pre teen.

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelleyrae, yes it is an interesting book so far. And reading Blubber as an adult was an eye opening experience. I didn't have the same feelings I once did.

      Delete
  5. How I shed my skin sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you'll love the Sissy Spacek audio of To Kill a Mockingbird. I thought it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, I am loving it so far. Sissy Spacek was a great choice for a narrator.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you're enjoying the TKAM audiobook! I started it when I decided to do a reread of TKAM, but then switched to print. I loved Sissy Spacek's narration, but just wanted to read faster! Aw, how cool that you read Judy Blume and Charlotte's Web this week! It's been a long time since I read either one. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving the Sissy Spacek narration! That is the only issue with audiobooks: it takes longer to finish them. Ha. And can you believe I had never read Charlotte's Web? This was my first time!

      Delete
  8. Yay..you are listening to To Kill A Mockingbird..i love the novel, and hope the audio rocks. Ooo and you are finally starting the Lunar Chronicles..sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimba, I am loving the audio! I just love Sissy Spacek's voice.

      Delete
  9. I'm actually reading Hover by Melissa West, but I recently finished Finding Serendipity by Angelica Banks, which I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding Serendipity sounds awesome! I am glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  10. Enjoy Alias Grace. I liked Atwood's early novels but have struggled a little with her more recent ones (just can't get into them at all!).

    Have a good week!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah! I loved The Handmaid's Tale, but I know what you meant about her newer stuff. The MaddAddam trilogy has been tough to get into.

      Delete
  11. Yay for In a Handful of Dust! Do it!! Hahah, I know I am one of the people pushing for it ;) Also, Cinder is good too! I have to read Scarlet one of these days.

    Right now, I am reading The Fire Sermon by Francesca Haig and... I have no idea what else. I need to pick a second book, and I am having trouble. I want to read them all, but then... none seem good enough. I hate when that happens ;)

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, ahhhh so many books, so little time! When I am deciding what to read next there are way too many options!!

      Delete
  12. Ooh, this post is a great reminder for me to finally get around to reading Scarlet by Marissa Meyer and Not a Drop to Drink!! :)

    In the last week, I've read Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard and The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand. I haven't had time to read the last two days, but I am hoping to start Dreamfire by Kit Alloway later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, glad I could help Ebony. Not a drop to drink was so good so I hope you read it soon! Red Queen and The Last Time We Say Goodbye are both on my TBR list. I need to read those soon!

      Delete