Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by MizB at Should be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:


 Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

I started reading a book yesterday to try to get over my reading slump. I started reading Not A Drop To Drink by Mindy McGinnis. This one has been on my TBR for a while. Here is the synopsis:

Fans of classic frontier survival stories, as well as readers of dystopian literature, will enjoy this futuristic story where water is worth more than gold. With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl's journey in a frontierlike world not so different from our own. Teenage Lynn has been taught to defend her pond against every threat: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and most important, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty—or doesn't leave at all. Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. But when strangers appear, the mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won't stop until they get it.

This book did hook me from the beginning. Here is my teaser, which is also the first lines in the book:

"Lynn was nine the first time she killed to defend the pond, the sweet smell of water luring the man to be picked off like the barn swallows that dared to swoop in for a drink. Mother had killed the people who came too close to their pond before, but over the next seven years they fell by Lynn's gun as well, their existence easily wiped out first by a bullet, then by the coyotes before the sun could rise."

Does that teaser make you want to read more?

28 comments :

  1. Good teaser, sounds like it might be good. It does make me want more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Tease. It makes me want to find out what is so special about this pond. Here is mine
    http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2015/02/teaser-tuesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadene. I hope you get a chance to read this one. It is good so far.

      Delete
  3. I teased that recently too! Easy to get hooked, isn't it? My teaser & giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried to so many times to get into these books, but alas. It is just not for me.

    I hope you'll enjoy the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sorry to hear that Joyous Reads! I am enjoying this one so far.

      Delete
  5. Good one. Makes me want more. Enjoy!
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series and I am so excited you are reading it! She is a brilliant writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kindlemom. I am really enjoying it so far!

      Delete
  7. Good choice. I loved this book and will be reviewing it later this month!
    My TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/02/10/teaser-tuesdays-101-night-carnival/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I can't wait to read your review. I am really enjoying this one so far.

      Delete
  8. This is the kind of dystopian novel that seems close to reality...as if this could happen. I am definitely intrigued.

    Here's mine: “ONE PLUS ONE”

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I've read something else about this book recently - I don't normally go for dystopian novels but this one does intrigue me. Thanks for visiting my TT https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/02/10/teaser-tuesday-february-10/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cleo! Yes I am really enjoying it so far.

      Delete
  10. Didn't I read this tease somewhere last week?

    My teaser this week is from a mid-grade/young adult historical fiction set in Biblical times: http://pdworkman.com/excerpt-from-lamp-of-darkness/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, not sure. I haven't read anything else about it lately. Doesn't mean it's not out there though. :)

      Delete
  11. This book is one my wishlist, although the idea of a water shortage makes this coffee loving addict freak out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Kimba. That is funny. No coffee, no tea and no hot cocoa! That is sad. This one is a good book. I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  12. That is a great way to open a book. Makes me want to read more.

    Here's mine: http://awrenfro.com/2015/02/10/teaser-tuesday-the-shining-by-stephen-king-part-2/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh nice teaser!! I actually have this book, can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I just finished it and I really liked it. I hope you love it as well!

      Delete
  14. I LOVE this book! It is dark, and gritty, and the teaser does it proud! Also, In a Handful of Dust is even more amazing! Hope love it!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Shannon, I just finished it and I loved it!! I will be reading that sequel.

      Delete