Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Problems of a Reading Junkie


This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. They feature a different top ten list every week. This week's topic is top ten bookish problems I have . . . also known as the top ten problems I have being a reading junkie. 

1. What do I read next?!?


Over eighty books on my Kindle, ARCs from NetGalley, print books on my bookshelf and almost three hundred books on my TBR list. The struggle is real people!

2. What monthly book budget?

I have a budget every month for books, but don't even ask me how many times I have gone over it. Why do I even bother??

The better question might be why I do I buy books every single month? I probably have enough books on my Kindle and enough print books that I wouldn't need to buy any for a long time. 

3. Reading Slumps

Ugh, yes we have all been there. I was there very recently. There are so many books to read and yet my interest isn't piqued by any of them during a reading slump. It is the worst feeling because I want to read all the book! 

Oh please, won't someone think of the books?!?

4. Book Hangovers


Symptoms of a reading hangover: may include: drowsiness, irritability, anxiousness. When I finished the Wayward Pines trilogy, I was a wreck for weeks. Yep, three weeks without reading anything. The series was just so good that I couldn't image loving anything else.

5. Trying to explain to your husband that you can't talk now because you have two chapters left and you HAVE TO FINISH IT!

Oh my poor, poor husband. He puts up with so much from this confirmed book addict. I try really, really hard not to snap though. This was me earlier this year: "Honey, I really love you but you should know that when I am reading, I really need to just read." 

He is so laid back. He laughed and let me finish my book. No wonder I love that man. 

6. Going on a trip and being scared I won't have enough to read, despite the eighty books on my Kindle.

Ahhhh, what if I don't have enough books? What if I have too many contemporary books, but then I am in the mood for science fiction? Argh, yes I do think these things.

7. Having the power go out and your Kindle is dwindling down to 20%!!



Umm, this happened to me a few weeks ago and I am not proud of the monster I turned into. But in my defense, I was 75% of the way through my book!! I was terrified the battery would die before the power came back on.

Luckily the power came back on and crisis was averted!

8. That feeling you get when news hits they are making a movie out of a book you love and suddenly all your friends start talking about it?




Where were all of you when I actually read it and couldn't shut up about it??

Just a few books I read long before movies were being made: Hunger Games, Divergent, Gone Girl

9. Trying to hold back your tears when reading a very sad book in a public place. 



You try reading The Art of Racing in the Rain on an airplane.

10. Finishing a book that was just so earth shatteringly good that you can't even come up with words to tell you guys how amazing it is!!



Yeah, I'm looking at YOU I'll Give You The Sun! Why do you think I haven't written a review yet?

Can you guys relate to any of these issues? Are there any that you have that aren't on this list?

48 comments :

  1. I can relate to all of these on your list Cynthia! I can't wait to read I'll Give You The Sun. I've heard so many amazing things about it. Thank you for stopping by my TTT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissi. You really must read I'll Give You The Sun. It was so, so, so good!

      Delete
  2. Really great list, I loved your commentary! I have experienced the whole trying to hold back tears in public thing along with the retreating into my cave thing when I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jeann! It's so hard to fight the tears in pubic. Argh

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness can I relate to your list. The dwindling power on the Kindle (or iPad in my case) is a very real problem. I hate when that happens. Reading slumps are the worst and book hangovers are something I encounter more than I should probably admit!

    Great list!

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim! I hate reading slumps with a passion and I am so glad I got over mine. :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, it's so difficult to stay within a book budget.

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently went on a trip and forgot my Kindle charger *panics*. Luckily, my phone charger works just as well. Crisis averted. Thank god. Great list! Here's mine https://ireadboooks.wordpress.com/2015/02/17/book-related-problems/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ireadbooks, Oh. My. God. Forgetting my charger on a trip would be a TRAGEDY!! So glad you had something that would work. I am sure I would have driven to store after store until I could find something to work in that case. Ha

      Delete
  6. I loved your list today--they are all very legit problems that I think all bookish people face. I especially related to the power going out and your battery being low on your kindle. What a tragedy! Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am forever buying more books when I already have a kindle and book shelf full of books! Hahaha, non book worms never understand! My mum is always giving me jobs to do and I'm like "I'm busy!" and she replies with "no you're not, you're only reading!" They just don't understand!!! :( My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Brocs, I am busy when I am reading! I hear that.

      Delete
  8. Nice Top Ten List.

    My husband has to wait too. :) I told him to read the same books and we can discuss. :)

    ENJOY your day.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! Our poor husbands and the things they have to deal with from us bookworms. :)

      Delete
  9. What to read next is a HUGE problem. I've created a schedule of sorts, a queue if you will. I've stuck to it pretty well, but I tend to deviate sometimes. Book hangovers stink. I tend to just push through them and keep going. I aways overpack the books. I overcompensate and bring way more books than I could finish. Lol. I suffer from the 10th one so often. My reviews for books I love are so gushy *hides face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I try to create a tentative monthly schedule of what to read, but it's still so hard! Argh. And before I had a Kindle, I would pack SO MANY books for a trip. I think I had more books than clothes. Ha

      Delete
  10. I can sympathize with every single item on all of the top 10 lists that I have checked out so far today, your top three especially.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have cut back to buying one book per pay period (every two weeks). At least I'm trying to keep up with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kwizgiver, oh I so admire your willpower! Maybe one of these days I can stick with something like that.

      Delete
  12. I can relate to your reading problems!! I also find it annoying when my hubby interrupts me while I'm reading a crucial scene in a book and I'll have to ask him to wait until I'm at a good stopping point!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes Captivated Reader that has happened with me more than once. I am glad someone else can relate. :)

      Delete
  13. IT'S SO HARD TO CHOOSE WHAT TO READ NEXT. 0.0 Like, this or this or this or that or this... And that's why I read eight books at the same time XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Lola Reviewer. I am reading two books and listening to one audio right now. I just want to read everything. So hard to narrow it down to just one!

      Delete
  14. My kindle always dies when I get to the best part of the book. It's so aggravating!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, yes aggravating doesn't even begin to describe it! Haha

      Delete
  15. I try my best to avoid reading sad books in public places, but sometimes I come across surprisingly sad moments and have to hold back some tears. :D I absolutely love number 10! It feels amazing when a book leaves you speechless in that way. I've been experiencing number 1 a lot lately because there are SO MANY books I want to read at once. I'm usually reading two to four books at once because of that.

    Great list. It's very relatable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaitlin! And yes, I am reading two books and listening to one audiobook right now because I just can't make a choice!

      Delete
  16. I could have WRITTEN this post, that's how much I relate! I'm particularly glad I have a Kindle when I go on vacation now, as lugging around a suitcase full of books got super old super fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Anastasia! Yes, before I had a Kindle I carried SO MANY books on trips. I probably had more books than clothes. My Kindle is a real space saver.

      Delete
  17. "The better question might be why I do I buy books every single month? "

    The answer is too hard to explain. IT'S AN ADDICTION.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, so very true. There is no answer to that one!

      Delete
  18. AH, ALL OF THESE. I have serious problems with all of these! I never know what to read next, want to buy ALL the books, even though I have literally hundreds sitting right next to me, and the Kindle battery thing is awful! I get panicked when it gets to 20% even when the power is ON. I don't know what I would do if the power went off, my goodness! Great list!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shannon. I am glad someone else can relate. :)

      Delete
  19. Yet another remind that I haven't read I'll Give You the Sun Yet! I neeeeed to! I also worry about reading materials when I am traveling and get stressed over what to bring, and then I end up doing zero reading because I'm too busy anyway!
    Thanks for stopping by my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please, please read I'll give you the sun! It was so amazing!!

      Delete
  20. Ha ha ha! Such a fun theme! I couldn't get myself to post mine though :P I've much rather enjoyed hoping around and reading everyone else's. My major quibble is the book budget, oh my poor husband :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, I have enjoyed reading everyone's lists too. It's funny how some lists are so similar and some are so different. But I think we can all relate to them.

      Delete
  21. I can totally relate to number 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Breana, I have a feeling most book bloggers can relate to that one. :)

      Delete
  22. Oh man. I had that with the power and my kindle a little bit back. Total reader girl panic! Heh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Anna there was a MAJOR panic that day. Haha

      Delete