Monday, June 27, 2016

DISCUSSION: Finding Time to Read

If you have read my blog for any length of time, you know that I am a super fast reader. In the month of May, I read 28 books. Now it does help that I am unemployed, but I thought I would share a few of my secrets for finding time to read.

Let's face it: there are certain things we can all give up for the sake of more reading time: 

1. Cleaning

Do those dishes really need to be washed? Does your toilet really need to be cleaned? And come on, that laundry doesn't need to be done. You still have a pair of pants somewhere that aren't dirty.
2. Cooking

Okay, I love food so I would never advocate that you give up eating (if I ever do, that is code for I have been kidnapped and I am in trouble).  No . . . but you can give up cooking. Grab a power bar. Or better yet, grab a couple dozen pieces of chocolate. It's cool to have chocolate for dinner, right?
3. Exercise

I try to work out and for the most part, I am successful. But I have been known to skip a workout because I just have to finish the book I'm reading. So skip that session on the treadmill. That book is way more important than any calorie burn.
4. TV

I know Netflix is tempting, but TURN IT OFF! Binge watch Gilmore Girls later . . . that book is just too good to resist!
5. Talking with loved ones
Come on, you talk with your loved ones all the time. You need a break. They need a break. No socialization until you finish that book!

6. The Internet

Ahh, this one is the hardest of all of them. I know it's so easy to get sucked into Facebook and Twitter and comments on your blog . . . . but your book must come first.
7. Sleep
This is my favorite activity to skip in favor of a book. Or maybe, it's just the one I use most often. Whatever. But if all of the other methods on this list fail you, this one is GUARANTEED! You can get by on three hours of sleep, right? Worth it.

So what do you think of my list? Do you have any tips you would like to share? Any activities that I didn't mention that are working skipping in favor of reading?


21 comments :

  1. Haha I love this! There are some things that I probably can't skip though like Netflix and food! But I've been known to skip cleaning and sleeping to finish a book. And I have no regrets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, Reading > Cleaning and Sleeping. NO REGRETS!! I try to multitask with the food. I have been known to read while eating many, many times. I don't even look at my food when that happens. Ha

      Delete
  2. Sounds about right!!! I do some of these activities though . . . I just listen to my audiobooks while doing them :) Fun post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, that's why I wish I could get into audiobooks more. Then I could read while doing anything!

      Delete
  3. Oh, the struggle. The struggle is real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, yes you know it. Glad I have a support group on this blog from others who feel the same way.

      Delete
  4. Can I somehow like, hire a nanny? Because I would be able to read a LOT if I could hire a nanny. Maybe like... sell my soul or something. Otherwise, I DO put off all of these other things already so I guess I can't do much else- though I will vow to try to exercise and cook and clean even less- which will be hard because I really don't do a lot of it as it is 😂 But if I give up any more sleep... it's bound to get ugly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, oh I can only imagine how much reading time I would lose with kids. Is it weird that that is my #1 reason why I am hesitant to have kids?? Ha. Who needs to exercise really? Reading should always trump getting off the couch.

      Delete
  5. I don't do 3 of these things (cooking, cleaning, exercise) and I could give up the other (except of course, sleep. I couldn't give up sleep because I really love it xD), but I still only read around 5-10 books per month. Guess that means I'm just a really slow reader :D Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, I know. Sleeping is amazing and feels so, so good. But sometimes when I am in the middle of a good book, I just have to finish my book in lieu of sleep.

      Delete
  6. Ahhh, I definitely give up sleep and socializing for reading! In fact, I give it up for blogging too. I always try to put myself in a undistracted zone, so I certainly turn off my TV and sometimes music and some days, I even turn off my phone. However, if a book is *REALLY* good, I don't have to do any of those ;).


    Jess @ POB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, me too! I blog in the middle of the night SO MUCH. I work better with the TV on though. Quietness just bugs me.

      Delete
  7. Sleep, who needs sleep! Not me when there is a great book to be read! After all I can have a little snooze with my eyes open in work (blushes!) and I'm only half joking!
    Thank goodness for audiobooks, it means I can exercise/clean/cook all while reading. Fun post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, EXACTLY! Sleep feels good, but reading a great book feels even better.

      Delete
  8. I actually have a post scheduled on this topic in 2 weeks, unfortunately I've never been able to be funny so mine is more serious. I think yours is probably more honest as well though.

    My Most Recent Discussion: Hasn't Killed Me Yet: Living with Chronic TBR Overflow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I linked to this post in my Sunday Summary this week.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for linking up to my post! I will check out yours for sure.

      Delete
  9. I wish I could list WORK on here.

    Can you combine working out and reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, maybe with an audio book?? I imagine trying to read a physical book (or even a Kindle) while on the elliptical or treadmill could be a little dangerous.

      Delete
  10. All. Of. The. Above. Okay, I'm actually pretty good at managing to exercise most days (and if I do the elliptical, I watch a show while I work out - but if I run, I listen to an AUDIOBOOK!), but ALL of those other things are often skipped in favor of reading. Cooking and cleaning happen rarely around here. (We have cleaners who clean every other week, so I just have to organize - otherwise my house would be scary!)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I really, really wish I could get into audiobooks more. I could get so much more reading done! Then I wouldn't have to give up anything. Oh well.

      Delete