Thursday, June 30, 2016

Sequel Love: Reviews of A Court of Mist and Fury and The Rose and the Dagger

Title and Author: A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorn and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas
Goodreads Synopsis: Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people. Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

Review: It really feels like I have been waiting for this book FOREVER!! I need to learn to wait until the entire series is out before I start reading it because waiting for the sequel is just torture. But alas, I have no willpower. After reading the first book, my feet were firmly planted with Team Tamlin. I was dreading the possibility of a love triangle with the new guy, Rhysand. 

I guess this one was supposed to be a retelling of the Greek myth of Hades and Persephone and I totally get it. Rhysand just grew on me. I didn't like him that much at first and I spent way too long wishing Feyre and Tamlin would just work out their issues. But there was just so much to love about the tortured Rhysand. I realized that he was just so much better for Feyre and their chemistry was freaking HOT. Seriously, it was the slowest burn romance in book history and it was torture to see if they would give in or not. Tamlin who? Sarah J. Maas's world building is incredible. We saw more kingdoms and they were all beautiful in their own ways. Maas has such a way with words that I could really see every kingdom so clearly. The writing was just as beautiful and spectacular as the first one. We also meet several members of the Night Court and they are extremely entertaining. The banter made me laugh out loud a couple of times. Here was one issue I had: this book was way too long. There were several times in the middle of this book where it just dragged and it was kind of boring. I would find myself not really wanting to read it that much. The writing was still great, but the story itself was lacking. Then it picked up again and for the last thirty percent of the book, I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. 

The ending of this book was freaking jam packed with action and heart breaking moments. Another thing I had an issue with was that Maas just completely changed the character of Tamlin. There were things he did in this book that I did not get. But I guess the goal was to make me hate him and it worked. The ending was crazy shocking. There were a couple of things resolved, but there was still this massive cliffhanger and leads me to cry over the fact that I have to wait a whole year for the finale. Argh!!!
Buy/Borrow/Skip: Buy this one!

Title And Author: The Rose and the Dagger (The Wrath and the Dawn #2) by Renee Ahdieh
Goodreads Synopsis: In a land on the brink of war, Shahrzad has been torn from the love of her husband Khalid, the Caliph of Khorasan. She once believed him a monster, but his secrets revealed a man tormented by guilt and a powerful curse—one that might keep them apart forever. Reunited with her family, who have taken refuge with enemies of Khalid, and Tariq, her childhood sweetheart, she should be happy. But Tariq now commands forces set on destroying Khalid's empire. Shahrzad is almost a prisoner caught between loyalties to people she loves. But she refuses to be a pawn and devises a plan. While her father, Jahandar, continues to play with magical forces he doesn't yet understand, Shahrzad tries to uncover powers that may lie dormant within her. With the help of a tattered old carpet and a tempestuous but sage young man, Shahrzad will attempt to break the curse and reunite with her one true love.
Review: Ahh . . . I have been waiting on this book for so long and it did NOT disappoint! I freaking loved it. Do you know what the only disappointing part of this book was that this is the END! I had no idea this was a duology and I hate it. 

Anyway, let's talk about all the many things I loved about this book. First, there was the setting. I don't know how the author does it, but the setting and the world building were impeccable. I could see and feel and even smell everything so clearly. There was also nonstop action. Sometimes the pacing in sequels can be off, but not this time. There was not one single moment of boredom. I still loved Khalid and Shazi and still shipped them big time. Of course, there weren't as many swoon worthy moments just because they were apart more than they were together. But there were still a few moments there where I swooned, so it's all good. 

Really, you need this sequel (finale) in your life. And maybe if we beg enough, the author can write more stories for these characters? I am not ready to say goodbye! 

Buy/Borrow/Skip: Buy this one!!

4 comments :

  1. SO happy to see you loved The Rose and the Dagger!! I have the audio and need to start it ASAP. I feel like I saw some mixed reviews but I am excited for it anyways. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Rose and the Dagger. I just wish there was at least one more book in the series. I was not ready to say goodbye to the characters.

      Delete
  2. A Court of Mist and Fury was so amazing. The elements outside of the awesome romance really made this novel stick out in my head. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I absolutely loved it. I know some people didn't really like the change in who Feyre was with in this one, but I thought it really worked. The chemistry was off the charts. I absolutely loved all the world building she did as well.

      Delete