Wednesday, March 25, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings By Maya Angelou

This is a book review for I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. I read this for my TBR Pile Challenge. I also read this for my Banned Book Challenge.

Maya Angelou’s debut memoir is a modern American classic beloved worldwide. Sent by their mother to live with their devout, self-sufficient grandmother in a small Southern town, Maya and her brother, Bailey, endure the ache of abandonment and the prejudice of the local “powhitetrash.”  Maya learns that love for herself, the kindness of others, her own strong spirit, and the ideas of great authors (“I met and fell in love with William Shakespeare”) will allow her to be free instead of imprisoned. Poetic and powerful, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings will touch hearts and change minds for as long as people read.

For someone who is not a big fan of nonfiction, I sure have read a lot of it this year. And I have read some pretty great memoirs. But as much as I loved If you find this letter, I think this is my new favorite memoir. I cannot believe it took me so long to read this. I also can't believe this book was banned, but then again I feel that way about every book that has been banned. This was such a powerful memoir by a very inspiring woman. Maya Angelou does not shy away from tough subjects like the racism that her family experienced or the rape she experienced when she was only eight years old. When I read that part, it broke my heart. Maya Angelou describes her life growing up in the South in a very poetic and raw way. It was heartbreaking to hear not only of Maya's rape, but her stories interacting with white people and the racism that she experienced. I think everyone needs to read this book. 

Buy/Borrow/Skip: Buy!

12 comments :

  1. I don't like memories, but this is something else altogether. And now I want to read it again :) Thanks for a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramona! It isn't your traditional memoir. It reads kind of like a fiction novel, honestly. But it is so good.

      Delete
  2. I used to love reading memoirs but I haven't read one in years. And this one was banned? Hmm, I am intrigued. I may pick it up next time I visit local library :) Nice review, Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great memoir. And good on you, for reading no fictions this year! Great review, Cyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyous Reads! I am trying to go outside of my comfort zone a bit. :)

      Delete
  4. I've read 'I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings' twice... The 1st time in high school for a literature and the second time a few years... I've been a Maya Angelou fan for years, ever since I read her memoir the first time in high school. Like you, I can't imagine why this book is banned, but then again I can't imaging why any book is banned!

    I saw Maya Angelou speak live twice... What an amazing experience! She was a wonderful speaker and would sing and recite poetry... I am glad that I was able to hear her speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so jealous that you were able to hear her speak. She seems like she was such an amazing and inspiring woman.

      Delete
  5. Your last line just sold it to me. It has been on my mind to read it anyway ever since I saw about a documentary about Maya, she held me spellbound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish. Maya Angelou is such a beautiful writer and I am sure she was an amazing person. I really hope you do read it.

      Delete
  6. I bought this one on my ereader a long time ago, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet! I love Angelou's poetry so I'm really eager to read her prose. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mallory, I actually had this one my ereader for a while too before I read it. I hope you get to it soon because it really is a beautiful story.

      Delete