Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Books From My Childhood!


This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. They feature a different top ten list every week. This week's topic is the top books from my childhood that I would love to revisit. Most of these are from my teen years, but yes there are a few of them that are from when I was really young.

1. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein - I LOVE this book! I bought the 40th edition last year and loved rereading all of his hilarious (and inspiring) poems.


2. Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman - I know this one is going way back, but it always brings back so much nostalgia. This is one of the first books I ever learned to read. My mother read it to me and I read it to my younger sister. I can't wait to have kids so I can read it to them.


3. Any of the Sweet Valley High books by Francine Pascal - I think I read every single SVH book when I was younger.


4. Any of the Nancy Drew books by Carolyn Keene - I have no idea how Nancy Drew didn't suffer brain damage because of all the hits she took to the head. But I still loved them.


5. Are you there God, it's me Margaret? by Judy Blume - Yep, Judy Blume . . . she's timeless.


6. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson - This book has always stuck with me because it is the first book that ever made me cry. I reread it last year and it was just as heartbreaking. I love the show New Girl and a quote in that show made me laugh: "You should call yourself Bridge to Terabithia because you make children cry." Ha. It's so true!


7. Any of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary - Did anyone else love Ramona as much as I did?? And for some reason, I have lost my books in this collection. I need this box set! '


8. The Flowers in the Attic series by VC Andrews - I think I read this series about five times in high school. It is twisted, but I loved it!


9. My Sweet Audrina by VC Andrews - Another V.C. Andrews book that I read several times. I loaned this one out and never got it back! Argh, it was such a tragedy.

10. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit - I loved this book so, so much! It's weird that I never saw the movie, but I'm sure it wouldn't have held up to the book anyway.



What is your favorite childhood book?

25 comments :

  1. I loved Ramona a lot!! We have like a HUGE collection of Beverly Cleary books...I didn't even realise how many until I was doing my TTT post. (I'm glad my mum kept all our childhood books. xD) I also loooved Katherine Paterson. She half squeezed on my list with The Master Puppeteer, and I also loved Jacob Have I Loved and The Great Gilly Hopkins. She ALWAYS makes me cry.
    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cait, I am so jealous of your huge Beverly Cleary collection! I need to get my collection started and reread everything by her.

      Delete
  2. You picked some good ones! Bridge to Teribithia is the first book that made me cry too... and the only one. :)
    The Ramona books were a favorite growing up! I have re-read those countless times!
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-ten-books-from-my-childhood-i-want.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lois! I really want to reread the Ramona books. They were so much fun to read.

      Delete
  3. Bridge to Terabithia was sooo great, man it made me cry. and I laughed so hard at Are You There God?… I loved that book as a kid. What a great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I think I need to reread Are you there God?. It has been SO long since I have read it, but it was one of my favorites.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I loved Ramona and all of Beverly Cleary's books! And of course, Shel Silverstein rocks. Judy Blume really is timeless... and Are You My Mother is one of the all-time greats! (I've been known to quote it at random times...) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You are so right about Judy Blume. She really is timeless!

      Delete
  5. Who doesn't love Sheldon Silverstein! :D You know, I've never read Flowers in the Attic. I probably should sometime.

    Cayt @ Vicarious Caytastrophe
    http://www.cayt.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cayt, yes you really should! Flowers in the Attic is so weird, but it's great.

      Delete
  6. I adored Judy Blume and Sweet Valley High. Such good books. Thank you for stopping by my blog earlier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading The Flowers in the Attic Series too as well as My Sweet Audrina!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-10-books-from-my-childhood-or-teen.html

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Captivated Reader! VC Amdrews was probably one of my favorite authors when I was younger.

      Delete
  8. Tuck Everlasting and Where the Sidewalk Ends!! How did I forget those on my list?! I loved those growing up. Can you believe I've never read a single Judy Blume novel? Ever? THIS MUST BE RECTIFIED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookmark Dragon, wow you have NEVER read Judy Blume?? YES, go read her ASAP!! Haha

      Delete
  9. My Sweet Audrina was the first twisty book I ever read and it blew my mind! And I loved SVH and all the VA books. I think the Heaven series was my fav one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, oh I loved the Heaven series too! That is probably my favorite VC Andrews series after Flowers in the Attic.

      Delete
  10. I'm wondering if we are the same age or if these books are just timeless. I've read 5 of them as a kid and I loved them too. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein was a top favorite, and my FAV pre-school was Green Eggs and Ham LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, maybe it is a little bit of both. ;) And I loved anything Dr. Seuss!

      Delete
  11. We just talked about these! :D I remember giving Sweet Valley High a try, but The Baby-Sitters Club just won me over :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, oh yes I loved Babysitters Club too. Of course, I think I stopped reading Sweet Valley High when the author started inserting all these cliffhangers and they started to get a little soap opera like. Ha

      Delete
    2. Oh boy! I didn't get to taste any of the soap opera dramatics in my childhood books ha ha!

      Delete
  12. Oh yes! I loved your first two. I bet my mom still has my copies of those :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I also still have my copy of Are You My Mother. I am saving it for when I have kids. :)

      Delete