Wednesday, August 12, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: A Court of Thorn and Roses (ACOTAR #1) by Sarah J. Maas

This is a book review for A Court of Thorn and Roses (ACOTAR #1)by Sarah J. Maas. 

When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world. As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

This was the BEST retelling of Beauty and the Beast EVER! Okay, so this is the only retelling of Beauty and the Beast I have read, but whatever. This was also my first Sarah Maas book and she is pretty freaking amazing. I loved the world building in this book and the characters were amazing. Feyre is taken beyond the Wall of her city to Prythian, a world of faeries. Sarah Maas did such an incredible job describing this beautiful land and the darkness of the faerie monsters. Really, there were times I had to remind myself that Feyre wouldn't die because the faerie monsters were that scary. The romance between Feyre and Tamlin was HOT. I loved, loved, LOVED the slow burn romance. There was all this banter and flirting and chemistry. When they FINALLY kissed, it was everything I wanted it to be. I ship them so much. And I loved the brotherly relationship that developed between Feyre and Lucian. Hooray for no love triangles! And the last 25% of the book had my heart pounding and wondering how the hell Feyre and Tamlin were going to survive. I won't mention HER name, but she is the best villainess I have ever seen. She was evil in ways I can't even describe and I hated her more than I have ever hated any fictional villain before, I know this is going to be a series so I was terrified of a possible cliffhanger. Things were left a bit open ended for other books, but there was still a little resolution as well. I can't wait to see more of these characters!

Buy/Borrow/Skip: If you enjoy fantasy, buy this one!

10 comments :

  1. HOW GOOD WAS IT??? I absolutely loved it - more than any of her other books. But now the problem is I can't wait until the others come out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loony Literate, I KNOW!!! I am DYING to read the sequel already!!!!

      Delete
  2. I wasn't sure about this one and then I kept hearing great things. I haven't read Sarah J Maas before but I think this may be my first. Plus I love Beauty and teh Beast and would love to read a retelling of it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I love Beauty and the Beast retellings too! I have never read Sarah Mass before this one, but I am going to check out her other ones for sure.

      Delete
  3. Eh, if this was your first book, I get the enthusiasm. But I read Throne of Glass, and the writing felt weaker in this one. The story is still interesting enough, and maybe I'll even read the sequel, but I really loved her earlier stuff more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, oh well then I will have to check out Throne of Glass for sure. If that one is better than this one, I am sure I will love it.

      Delete
  4. I really liked this too! I loved Feyre, and I agree, the story was definitely intense- and steamy ;) And "SHE" was evil, ugh- one of the most awful villains ever, basically! I am so glad you enjoyed it too- I am looking forward to the next book!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon, I know. I am SO EXCITED for the sequel!!! I cannot wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I KNOW, RIGHT?? I loved this book. Definitely one of my favorites this year. I think I like this series even more than her Throne of Glass series, which is pretty hard to beat. I've been wanting to reread this book lately, which is big for me since I am not a huge rereader. Glad you also loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucien was totally my choice, although Rysand was a close second. To me, Feyre was everything I had wanted in a Maas female lead. I really did like her quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete