Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Fairytale Retellings!

This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. They feature a different top ten list every week. This week's topic is the best Fairytale Retellings.

I have just discovered the wonderful world of fairytale retellings recently. I don't actually have ten amazing ones that I have read. So I broke this list up into two categories: the best that I have read and ones that I really want to read.

Best that I have read
1. Cinder by Marissa Meyer - An awesome retelling of Cinderella! Love that Cinder is half robot.

2. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - Is it cheating that I broke up The Lunar Chronicles series into three different ones? I don't even care. This one was a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood and a very good one at that.

3. Cress by Marissa Meyer - My absolute favorite of this series, this one was a retelling of Rapunzel.

4. Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell - Yes, there were parts of this story that dragged but I loved this feminist interpretation of Cinderella. Her dreams did NOT revolve around finding her Prince Charming; they actually revolved around being able to support herself on her own. How cool is that? And it had a very refreshing and realistic ending to the whole insta-love thing. It was awesome.

5. A Court Of Thorn And Roses by Sarah J Maas - Best Beauty and the Beast retelling EVER!!!! Okay, I know it's the only one I have ever read but still . . . it's unfreakingbelievable.

6. Damsel Distressed by Kelsey Macke - This is a contemporary retelling of Cinderella with the roles twisted a bit. In this version, Cinderella is actually the evil one who makes her stepsister's life miserable. The main character (the stepsister) is also struggling with depression. This was an excellent book. 

Retellings I really, really want to read
7. Alice by Christina Henry - I am LOVING this premise of the Alice In Wonderland retelling. The premise makes it sound like a very dark, dystopian type version. And I just got the ARC from NetGalley!

8. Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley - A Beauty and the Beast retelling in which Beauty is the one who grows the roses. Sounds like a magical book.

9. Great by Sara Benincasa - This actually isn't a fairytale retelling; it's actually a contemporary retelling of The Great Gatsby where both of the main characters are women.

10. The Wrath and The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh- I have heard awesome things about this retelling of 1001 Nights.

Bonus:
Heartless by Marissa Meyer - Was anyone else aware that Marissa Meyer has a brand new book coming out in November of 2016?!? It's not so much a retelling as it is a prequel to Alice In Wonderland. According to Goodreads, it is the story of how a teenage girl became the Queen of Hearts. I adore Marissa Meyer so I am sure this one will be amazing!!














What are a few of your favorite fairytale retellings?

28 comments :

  1. I actually hadn't read any so I did a TBR - Cinder, Damsel Distressed and The Wrath and the Dawn are on there. Heartless sounds pretty damn cool because I love Alice in Wonderland - Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Grace! I was surprised I had as many as I did. I love retellings, but they are very new to me.

      Delete
  2. Ugh I actually forgot about Damsel Distressed! It sounds really awesome! I've read ACOTAR too and I really love it too. Can't wait for the sequel! :D

    Tiffany @ The Bookish Thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, ME TOO!!! I cannot WAIT for the ACOTAR sequel. I freaking love those characters!!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I knew Marissa Meyer had a new project for 2016, but didn't know what it was about! Right to the TBR list! We have some overlap - Lunar Chronicles, of course! I also want to read The Wrath and the Dawn, but didn't think of it while I was writing my list. If you're thinking about one of Robin McKinley's retellings of Beauty & the Beast, I'd actually recommend Beauty over Rose Daughter, although they're both good. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the recommendation bookshelffantasies. I have heard Robin McKinley is awesome. I will check out Beauty for sure.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read many of these, although Marissa Meyer's series is amazing and I love it completely :) I also want to read Mechanica, simply because it looks so gosh-darn pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramona! Mechanica was very good. There were some slow parts, but still . . . amazing. And I do have much cover love for it. :)

      Delete
  5. Only Cinder made my list. (And I still need to read the rest in that series!) I am excited about her Alice in Wonderland story. That sounds so interesting!

    http://hiddenstaircase.net/2015/08/04/ttt-ten-fairy-tale-retellings/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much hiddenstaircase.net! Yes, you really must read the rest of the series! Of course you could always read the rest of them when Winter comes out so you can read the whole thing in one sitting. Waiting for the finale is so hard!

      Delete
  6. What!?!?! I didn't know Marissa Meyer is coming out with a new book! Ugh another book to add to my TBR pile. Great compilation of books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angeline! I was so excited to discover that. I can't wait. :)

      Delete
  7. ACOTAR was absolutely amazing! Need to read The Wrath and the Dawn since it looks fantastic. Great list!

    My TTT: http://tsundokubooks.blogspot.com/2015/08/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-fairytale.html?showComment=1438716330623#c2467615209016775937

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SMM Frost, yes ACOTAR was unfreakingbelievable! So good!!!

      Delete
  8. I LOVED Cinder and A Court of Thorns and Roses. So glad they made your list! I hope you are able to get to The Wrath and the Dawn - I loved that one as well. I've never heard of Damsel Distressed, but you've intrigued me. And I will definitely be reading Heartless when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bookmark Dragon. Damsel Distressed was so good! I really, really hope I can get to The Wrath and the Dawn soon. I have heard great things. :)

      Delete
  9. I need to check out Wrath & The Dawn - had not heard of it before today. My TTT list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, I have heard great things about it!

      Delete
  10. I cannot wait to read The Wrath and the Dawn as well, I'm really excited to read it! Yesss you listed my favourite Marissa Meyer and Sarah J Maas <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeann, oh yes, Marissa Meyer and Sarah Maas are amazing!!!

      Delete
  11. Cinder is soo good!! I have yet to read the other ones in the series though :'(
    Mechanica and A Court of Thornes and Roses are also on my TBR list, they sound incredible! :)

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla, oh you must read the rest of Lunar Chronicles. Every book just gets better and better!

      Delete
  12. I loved ACOTAR and I am so glad that Cress is the best one- I liked Cinder and Scarlet too, so if Cress is even better, it;s a win! I really need to read Damsel Distressed too. OH and Wrath is AMAAZING- do it asap! Great list!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, if you say I need to read Wrath of the Dawn ASAP, then I think I need to make that one a priority. :) And I hope you read Damsel Distressed soon. It was so good!

      Delete
  13. Oh, that's a really cool theme! I haven't read any of these, but I keep meaning to read the Lunar Chronicles. I'm kind of worried they won't live up to the hype, but I should probably just try it and see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vlora, you really must! I was afraid they wouldn't live up to the hype either, which is why I didn't read the series until this year. But they are so good. They are worth all the hype and more!

      Delete
  14. YESS TO THE LUNAR CHRONICLES AND ACOTAR (which I adored). I haven't read many reviews of Mechanica but I saw it last year and now I really want to read it again :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you read Mechanica soon Loony Literate! There were a few parts that went a little slow for me, but I still really enjoyed it.

      Delete