Friday, April 3, 2015

Friday Memes - Black Iris Fever!

Happy Friday everyone! It is time for this week's Friday memes. They all have one book in common: Black Iris by Leah Raeder.


Friday Finds is a weekly meme hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm, where we show off books we recently added to our TBR list or books we recently purchased, borrowed, etc.

This week, I received approval for Black Iris by Leah Raeder from NetGalley. And yes, I read it as soon as I received it. Talk about a powerful read!

Goodreads Synopsis: It only took one moment of weakness for Laney Keating’s world to fall apart. One stupid gesture for a hopeless crush. Then the rumors began. Slut, they called her. Queer. Psycho. Mentally ill, messed up, so messed up even her own mother decided she wasn't worth sticking around for. If Laney could erase that whole year, she would. College is her chance to start with a clean slate. She's not looking for new friends, but they find her: charming, handsome Armin, the only guy patient enough to work through her thorny defenses—and fiery, filterless Blythe, the bad girl and partner in crime who has thorns of her own. But Laney knows nothing good ever lasts. When a ghost from her past resurfaces—the bully who broke her down completely—she decides it's time to live up to her own legend. And Armin and Blythe are going to help. Which was the plan all along. Because the rumors are true. Every single one. And Laney is going to show them just how true. She's going to show them all.






Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader where we share the first sentence (or so) of a book we are reading.

"April is the cruelest month, T.S. Eliot said, and that's because it kills. It's the month with the highest suicide rate. You'd think December or even January --- the holidays and all that forced cheer and agonized smiling pushing fragile people to the edge --- but actually it's spring, when the world wakes from frost bound sleep and something cruel and final stirs inside those of us who are broken. Like Eliot said: mixing memory and desire, stirring dull roots with spring rain. In the deepest throes of depression, when sunlight is anguish and the sky throbs like one big raw migraine and you just want to sleep until you or everything else dies, you're less likely to commit suicide than someone coming out of a depressive episode."



Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice. Here are the rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 (or at 56% with an ereader)
*Find any sentence (or a few, no spoilers).
*Post It.

"I am not the heroine of this story . . . I'm diagnosed borderline and seriously fucked-up. I hold grudges. I bottle my hate until it ferments into poison, and then I get high off the fumes. I'm completely dysfunctional and that's the way I like it, so don't expect a character arc where I finally find Redemption, Growth, and Change, or learn How to Forgive Myself and Others. Fuck forgiveness."


"Girls love each other like animals. There is something ferocious and unselfconscious about it. We don't guard ourselves like we do with boys. No one trains us to shield our hearts from each other. With girls, it's total vulnerability from the beginning. Our skin is bare and soft. We love with claws and teeth and the blood is just proof of how much. It's feral. And it's relentless."


This book was so incredibly raw, but so addictive. If this book isn't on your radar, it needs to be! If you want to read my full review, click here.



Do these teasers make you want to read more? 

20 comments :

  1. That characters sounds really amazing. I can see that it would be raw to spend time in her head. I'm on the Friday 56 if you want to visit. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Breana, it is very interesting . . . and amazing!

      Delete
  3. The book does sound quite raw, wow. Not for me but I;m glad it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bea! Yeah, this book is not for everyone, that's for sure. :)

      Delete
  4. Yes! Yes, please, more! The writing is so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is Ramona! One of the best books I have read in a while!

      Delete
  5. I'd need to be in the right mood to read this but I like having books on hand for those days:)

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/04/03/the-friday-56-56-bubba-done-it/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, you are right. You have to be in the right head space for it.

      Delete
  6. Interesting find. I had never heard of that one before. Here is my finds list if yer interested: http://www.bookpunks.com/keeping-track-of-books-acquired-is-fucking-impossible/

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch, that 56 is harsh, but then again, people who are blunt and outspoken like that do strike my attention. It makes me want to discover more about why they are so bitter and resentful, though they would deny they are ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia! This character doesn't deny anything, which is why I love her. She knows she is messed up and makes no apologies for it. It's awesome. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow! Both excerpts are really good and I think raw is an excellent word to describe them. I'll have to look for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read Black Iris! Check out my Friday 56!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL @ the beginning... I can relate... I dislike 'the thaw' too.
    Sounds like a great book!
    Happy Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete