Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Teaser Tuesday and First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday


Here is the book I am providing teasers for today: Undertow by Michael Buckley.

Amazon synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Lyric Walker’s life is forever changed when she witnesses the arrival of 30,000 Alpha, a five-nation race of ocean-dwelling warriors, on her beach in Coney Island. The world’s initial wonder and awe over the Alpha quickly turns ugly and paranoid and violent, and Lyric’s small town transforms into a military zone with humans on one side and Alpha on the other. When Lyric is recruited to help the crown prince, a boy named Fathom, assimilate, she begins to fall for him. But their love is a dangerous one, and there are forces on both sides working to keep them apart. Only, what if the Alpha are not actually the enemy? What if they are in fact humanity’s only hope of survival? Because the real enemy is coming. And it’s more terrifying than anything the world has ever seen.

I stayed up until almost 1:00am this morning so I could finish this. It is so different from anything I have ever read. It was such a great book! 


First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea, where we share the first paragraph of the book you are reading.


"You can hear them coming from blocks away, a low thrum like the plucking of a bass string. As they grow closer it becomes a buzz in your inner ear, like hornets building a nest in your brain. By the time they reach your street, when they are right outside your window, the sound is unbearable: a rogue wave of moans and shrieks that rises higher and higher into a great crescendo of terror, the stuff of nightmares. You can't sleep through it. There is no pillow in the world big enough to block out their howls. Just pull the blankets up over your head and wait for them to pass. They will. They always do."

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

 Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


“I squeeze some of the ointment into my fingers, but something stops me. He needs it, yes, but these are his trophies. I don’t have to respect that or even understand, but it feels wrong to dismiss it. To nurse him against his will seems like a violation. It’s me trying to make him more human, to force him to adapt to my world. It’s me trying to change him, and I didn’t like it very much when the world did it to me.”



Do these teasers make you want to read more?

42 comments :

  1. I've been terribly hard to please today. None of the openings I've read grabbed me. This one wasn't either. Until I read this line: Because the real enemy is coming.

    That's when this nailed me. One more for the TBR Pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, glad you are adding it Suzie. Believe me, it was intense! Hope you enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  2. I wasn't sure about this intro until the end, but I think it would be worth reading a bit more. Hope you enjoy it Cynthia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! I just finished it and I loved it!

      Delete
  3. Oooh I have seen this book on a number of blogs and there's such a fascinating idea behind it! I'm not quite sure whether it's one for me, I'd have to read a bit more before knowing! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great week!
    My Tuesday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humm, I'm on the fence with this one today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the premise sounds unusual, but it was SO GOOD!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this new-to-me title, which really does sound unusual.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/04/first-chapter-first-paragraph-103.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. It really was a great read.

      Delete
  6. I'm unsure about this one too, but I am happy that it worked so well for you. Staying up late and not being able to put a book down - yep, that works!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure about this one. Glad you enjoyed it though. Here is mine
    http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2015/04/teaser-tuesday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Nadene, it's probably not for everyone. But I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  8. People have had only positive things to say about this one, so I'm eager to get to it myself :) It does sound different, and different is always good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely Ramona. It is unlike anything I have ever read, which was awesome. Sometimes these dystopian type novels can start looking alike.

      Delete
  9. This sounds really good. Thanks for sharing! I need to check this out. Here is my TT: http://www.readinggrrl.com/2015/04/teaser-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just heard about this book a few days ago, and it sounds intriguing. Thanks for sharing!

    Here's my teaser: http://www.pagepilgrims.com/tuesday-teaser-april-21/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds interesting. I like the cover - bleak and omnious.

    Here's my teaser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Majanka. I think the cover is wonderful. It definitely relates to the story.

      Delete
  12. I am dying to read this one! Here is my TT: http://candidcover.net/2015/04/21/teaser-tuesdays-1/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just requested this one this week! It's on my TBR for May! Can't wait to read it :) Here's my teaser :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, I really hope you enjoy it! I know I did.

      Delete
  14. I know from the book's description that this book is not for me, but I still found the first paragraph very compelling. I can see why you stayed up until 1 am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, yeah I know the plot isn't for everyone. :) It was a great read though.

      Delete
  15. I think I would like this one, as I enjoy the occasional dystopian fantasy/apocalyptic fiction. I read about it on one of the book e-zines and already had it on my radar. Now, thanks to your review, yes I will look out for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Rita! I really hope you enjoy it. I thought it was awesome.

      Delete
  16. This is at the top of my wish list. So different, fresh, and exciting.

    My TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/04/21/teaser-tuesdays-111-constricted-by-bejjajcampbell-review-free-book/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did. :)

      Delete
  17. Sounds very interesting. I have to add it to my TBR. Thanks for sharing! My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the cover. While sci-fi isn't really my thing this one sounds interesting. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, interesting is a great word for it. It was pretty awesome.

      Delete
  19. Thanks for sharing, Cynthia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just saw it on Goodreads, so many people are reviewing it with 4-5 stars. Must be good. Here is my TEASER from Total Surrender by Rebecca Zanetti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I hope you decide to give it a chance. :)

      Delete
  21. I love the cover of this one. I am curious about the book and would likely continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Literary Feline! It was a great one. :)

      Delete