Monday, April 6, 2015

Musing Mondays - Book Hangover

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. Anyone can play along! This is when we speak about bookish rants or issues, among other things.

For this week's topic, I am talking about the dreaded book hangover.

Last Thursday night, I finished one of the best books I have read this year, Black Iris. The main character, Laney, is without a doubt one of the most interesting and complex characters I have seen in a long, long time. I stayed up reading until midnight Friday morning, slept until 3am, at which point I woke up and read it until I finished it around 5am. Needless to say, I was a bit of a zombie on Friday.

When I finished Black Iris, I realized I had been holding my breath the entire time. I loved the characters, flaws and all, and there was so much going on. The plot moved so quickly from the very beginning to the last word. When I finally finished the book at 5am, I wasn't ready to let go of Lane's world. Yes, it was messed up and crazy, but it was also intense and addictive. I then realized I had a book hangover.


 Symptoms of a book hangover:

  • exhaustion
  • sadness
  • no energy
  • no desire to read
  • no interest in anything you try to read
  • the characters and the plot of the aforementioned amazing book stay with you and you can't help reliving some of your favorite scenes
  • intense desire to spread the word of this amazing book you have read to everyone you meet (this is one of those times I am really glad I have a blog so I can do this!)
Check, check and check to every single one of those symptoms.

Hangover Remedies:
  • Review the book. Reviewing the book (especially on your blog) can help get out all your ravings about just how good the book is. It was helpful, especially because I was able to go back over the quotes that I loved. It is so important to spread the love!
  • Reread the same book. I haven't done this one yet for this particular book, but I may. What is wrong with continuing to live in that world just a little bit longer? 
  • Take a break!! This one is very important. Usually when I finish a book, I pretty much start another one right away. I was surfing through all the books on Kindle and nothing seemed good, even the ones that have been on my TBR forever. I finished this book on Thursday and have yet to start another book. Well . . . that's not exactly true. I tried to start about six different books before I gave up. Now I'm not reading anything. I haven't read more than five pages since Friday and that's okay. I need to come down off the high that was this book.
  • Reread an old favorite. I will be doing this as soon as I feel the urge to read again. Rereading a favorite as been helpful in the past. If it is a book I know I love, then I am sure I can drum up some interest. I just have to resist the urge to read Black Iris again. I feel like that would be a bit much.
I really hope I can get over this book hangover soon. These remedies should help!

What do you do to get rid of a book hangover?

20 comments :

  1. Sometimes I can use book hangover to try and read something similar or completely different off the TBR pile. I also will listen to an audio book or maybe some podio books to help cleanse the palate a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks nashvillebookworm, maybe I will try that. I need a palate cleanser for sure!

      Delete
  2. Great ideas for curing book hangover. I haven't experienced it in a while...but it's always a possibility, hovering in the background.

    Here are my BLUE MONDAYS MUSINGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book hangover. I have had those. Thanks for sharing the symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, this sounds like a very serious condition! And don't I know it well... :) I need to read this! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramona. I am sure many booklovers can relate to this.

      Delete
  5. Love this post. My cure is a rom-com: something by Milly Johnson or Jill Mansell. They are my cure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh yes, I should read something like that. Something light and fluffy. :)

      Delete
  6. I've had this a couple times! Not often, but sometimes. I just need to wait a few days before diving into something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think that is what I needed, a break.

      Delete
  7. Oh man, book hangovers. They always make me go online and read as much as I can about the characters - stalk the author & look at graphics people have made of the characters - try to stay in the world of the characters as long as I can. I definitely agree that reviewing a book helps you organize your chaotic thoughts over the book. Then when people comment, you can talk to them about it! Great post, Cynthia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Girl with Bread! I have totally been in stalker mode with this author. I thought about buying another book by her because I saw it had awesome reviews. But I was afraid it would be just as intense and I would end up in the same boat. :)

      Delete
  8. I agree with a comment from above, audiobooks really help. They help you get into a story without much of the effort it takes to pick a physical book and read it. The biggest hangover I had was with Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. It was years ago but I still remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tip Audris. And I loved Before I Fall! I haven't read it in a couple of years, but it stayed with me for a long time.

      Delete
  9. I don't actually think I usually get book hangovers. Usually an awesome book just makes me want to read more! But I know it's a common issue among book bloggers. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! And that is usually the case with me. I have read so many great books this year, but this is the first one (this year) that has caused this type of hangover. I am sure I will get my reading mojo back soon. :)

      Delete
  10. I get a book hangover way too much. I was in denial for way too long. I blamed myself and told myself I was just too busy to want to read. But I've come to the realisation that I just need to take a break from reading after an amazing book. Lovely post Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! That's what really worked for me. I love to read, but sometimes you just need to take a break from it before starting a new one.

      Delete