Wednesday, January 28, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

This is a book review for The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black. Hazel lives with her brother, Ben, in the strange town of Fairfold where humans and far exists side by side. The faeries' seemingly harmless magic attracts tourists, but Hazel knows how dangerous they can be, and she knows how to stop them. Or she did, once. At the center of it all, there is a glass coffin in the woods. It rests right on the ground and in it sleeps a boy with horns on his head and ears as pointy as knives. Hazel and Ben were both in love with him as children. The boy has slept there for generations, never waking. Until one day, he does . . . As the world turns upside down and a hero is needed to save them all, Hazel tries to remember her years spent pretending to be a knight. But swept up in new love, shifting loyalties, and the fresh sting of betrayal, will it be enough?

This was not my first book by Holly Black, but it was my first experience with the faerie world. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I should have known anything by Holly Black is gold. The world building in this book was just magnificent. It reads like a fairy tale. She was able to describe the faeries and their magic so well. I was both in love with the faeries and terrified of them (much like the citizens of Fairfold). Good combination, I think. Holly Black did such an amazing job blending the fantasy world with the real world. Hazel is such a bad ass; I think she is my new favorite character.

I didn't find the love triangle nearly as annoying as usual, mainly because it wasn't a typical love triangle. Hazel and Ben were both in love with the horned prince, but who could blame them? I loved the unusual twist on the love triangle of a brother and sister liking the same person. Luckily the love triangle didn't even last for very long because soon a choice was made and I was very happy about that. Hazel and Ben both ended up with the right people, in my opinion. The only issue I had with the book (if you could call it that), was that there was almost too much going on. There was a faerie king, a monster, the horned prince, the knights, Jack's issues, missing tourists, the scared townspeople and so much more. There were a few points where I got a bit overwhelmed with everything that was going on, but I still loved the book.

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: If you like the fantasy genre, I say Buy!

16 comments :

  1. Wait a brother and sister like the same person? Woah! Still, magnificent world-building, a horned prince, knights and faeries!? I want it! I want it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Claudia you need to read it!! It was so good! :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard really great things about this one so far and i've been meaning to add it to my TBR pile.
    Also, this may have the most original love triangle yet. Two siblings liking the same person? A boy and a girl? Yup, I need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lilysbookblog.com, two siblings (a boy and a girl) having a crush on the same boy! It was a nice twist.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a typical lover of love triangles as well, but this is pretty interesting. I wouldn't mind it one bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you Joyous Reads, usually I roll my eyes at this one. But this one was a nice twist on it.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read a book by Holly Black yet but it's true that I heard many great things about her work and I'm quite curious now. Terrible, I'll have to try a book soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melliane, oh you really should! Her other book, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was also very good!

      Delete
  5. I've read a few books by Holly Black before so I'm interested in this one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breana, I hope you enjoy this one too! I really love Holly Black's stuff.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like another good one from Holly Black. I have it on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  7. I just finished this and really enjoyed it! I agree with you on the love triangle - it was a refreshing new take, and I was so happy with the resolution. This is my first Holly Black book - I definitely need to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlene! I am so glad you agree with me on the love triangle aspect. Sometimes they are so cliche that they make me roll my eyes. But not this one. And you should read her other stuff. The first book I read by her was The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. I loved that one!

      Delete
  8. I love it when I read a really excellent review for a book I ALREADY HAVE. Makes life much simpler and instantly gratifying ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jessica that is satisfying! I hope you love it as much as I did. :)

      Delete