Sunday, January 4, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

This is a review for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. This was the first book I read this year! I am using this one for my Banned Book Challenge hosted by Buckling Bookshelves.

I cannot believe that I had never read this book! I loved the Disney film so much as a child, but for some reason it just slipped through my list of must read books. I think I had a very deprived life as a child. Ha. I am sure that it seems weird for me to be reading a children's book, but I feel like I need to embrace my inner child. And this was a great book to start off the new year!

I know that I don't have to repeat the basic plot because everyone (even those who haven't read it) should be familiar with it. Alice falls asleep during her lessons, follows a white rabbit and falls down a rabbit hole and gets into some crazy shenanigans while interacting with some crazy characters. Seriously, the characters she met were insane. I really loved the Cheshire Cat. And the mock turtle. And the Queen. I loved everyone! I think this is the funnest thing I have read in a long time. There was so much humor and the riddles confused me as much as they did Alice. As Alice would say, "Curioser and cruiser!" I think I may start saying that in daily conversation. I had a smile on my face the entire time I was reading it. I just kept thinking that it was madness; utter, utter madness. But it was madness that I was happy to be a part of. It is so entreating and magical and I really, really need to read Through the Looking Glass!

I give this book a 4/5.

14 comments :

  1. ha, I haven't read this since i was a child, but I bet as an adult I would pick up on things I missed as a child. I love throwing in random sayings when talking or blogging from favorites..like quotes from Doctor Who etc. When people get it my face lights up and my heart flips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My very first exposure to Alice was in the form of a record. The was a very old Broadway musical and it was the recording. I was obsessed with it. I got the book from the library a few years later, but really didn't like it, and didn't finish it. My cousin gave me a collector's edition in a sleeve box for my 13th birthday and I read it then and loved it. I think I have seen all of the movies since then too. I should probably listen to the audio books I got on special of AiW and Through the Looking Glass because of loving the Splintered books so much right now. A good companion book to read with Alice in Wonderland is Alice I have been. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read this book, nor have I seen any film adaptations. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyous Reads, you really should! It was so much fun to read.

      Delete
  4. I read Alice as a child, but when I reread it a few years ago (when I first started blogging, there was an Alice in Wonderland Challenge), and it was so much better...there are little twists that make more sense to adults, I think.

    Enjoy the new week...and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! I am pretty sure there are certain things there I would not have found funny as a child. Sometimes it takes some age to appreciate things. :)

      Delete
  5. Not weird to be reading a children's book at all! There are so many children's classics I haven't read yet, but really want to. Off to a great start for the Banned Books Challenge -- thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Christine! I need to make up for lost time by reading some of the books I never got around to as a child. :)

      Delete
  6. I've never read this one! I liked the film as a kid, but haven't seen any film version in quite some time. I enjoyed reading your review, it sounds like a delightful and somewhat mad read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bookmark Dragon. Now that I read the book, I think I need to see the movie again. It was indeed quite mad. :)

      Delete
  7. I read this one last year for the first time, and I ended up liking the books better than the movies! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breana, I haven't seen the movie in so long but I think I need to now that I have read the book. I have no doubt the book is better. Isn't that how it is most of the time. :)

      Delete