Monday, December 8, 2014

Musing Monday: Judging Others' Book Choices

Musing Monday is a weekly meme hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Describe one of your reading habits.
  • Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
  • What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
  • Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
  • Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
  • Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
So my muse today is about something that maybe we have all done: judging other people's book choices or more specifically, the genres that people choose to read. So when I am browsing through Buzzfeed Books or Book Riot, I notice that there are certain books that almost always elicit a strong (negative reaction), namely Fifty Shades and Twilight. Usually there are several people who will chime in and say the writing is trash (their words, not mine) and they don't see how anyone could enjoy reading it. Personally, I have read both trilogies. I really enjoyed Twilight (not the movie though) and I also found myself enjoying Fifty Shades (of course, by the last one I was wondering why on earth I was reading it but that is another story). Anyway, in these discussions I find myself either denying that I enjoyed the books or just remaining silent. Why do I do this?

The reason this subject came up was because of a review I wrote on Amazon for a book, Preparation for the Next Life. I indicated in my review that while I felt the writing was beautiful, the plot was often boring and there were long stretches where nothing would happen. An Amazon customer made a comment on my review that based on my reviews of Young Adult fiction, I would not be the type to enjoy "great fiction." This really irked me for a couple of reasons: 1) the person was assuming YA could not be great fiction (Sea of Tranquility blows that notion out of the water, That book is amazing) and 2) I felt like she was personally attacking me simply because we had a difference of opinion on this book. I have actually seen a lot of people judge others who read YA.
I am not completely innocent either. I have found myself judging others' book choices as well. Like I have judged my mother because just about the only thing she reads is romance novels. Then I had an epiphany recently . . . why does it matter as long as she is reading? I used to read mainly romance novels; I get the appeal. 

Books are amazing things: they can teach us lessons or they can transport us far away. I have realized how foolish it is to judge others' book choices and that I am far more likely to judge someone who isn't reading at all than to judge someone who is reading a genre of book that I may not prefer.

Have you ever felt judged for your reading choices? Have you been guilty for judging others?

20 comments :

  1. I haven't read 50 Shades, but I did enjoy Twilight. I get annoyed when people bash books simply to bash them. Honest reviews are perfectly acceptable. But bashing isn't. And this includes bashing reviewers for giving their honest opinion. Reading is a personal thing. Not everyone likes every book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right TBM! It's one to criticize the book, but it's quite another to totally bash it AND bash anyone who dares read it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I've definitely felt judged because of my reading preferences, especially by coworkers, but in all honesty I don't really care what they think. I've read the Twilight & Fifty Shades series' out of curiosity, and enjoyed them both.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have felt judged -- but I can also be judgy! I read a lot of YA, I enjoyed the Twilight series and 50 Shades, and I also read "great literature" (which is in the eye of the beholder, in my opinion). I've had someone comment about my reading a lot of Stephen King! I try not to be too judgy -- it's mostly when people ONLY read one author or one genre... but even so, I try to keep my thoughts to myself. So long as people read, who cares what? Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by bookshelffantasies. I agree that the main times I have judged in the past is because someone reads only one genre. But like you said, as long as people are reading who cares?

      Delete
    2. And you are right about the "great" fiction part. I think the reader determines what is great to them. Even if it's not on some best of adult fiction list, that doesn't mean it isn't great!

      Delete
  4. I have been judged because some feel cozy mysteries are light reading and are for YA. I really don't care as I read for enjoyment and learning about some thing is a plus. I try not to judge others as I don't know there reason for reading.
    http://idahobluebird50.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Betty Louise! Regardless of what I read (even 50 Shades), I get some enjoyment out of it. So it really shouldn't matter. Thanks so much for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. One more reason I love my Nook--no one can see or judge what I'm reading!

    I do not judge--as long as people are reading something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha Kwizgiver. So true. That's why I was kind of grateful for my Kindle when I read 50 Shades. No one knew what I was reading! ;)

      Delete
  6. I think that books are just an extension of how as people we judge each other or 'put each other in a box' Reading doesn't have to be about learning, I read for pleasure and although sometimes I learn stuff or read about a subject I'm interested in, it doesn't hurt anyone else and nor do I expect them to like the same things as I do anymore than we have to enjoy the same TV, films, restaurants or any other leisure activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Cleo. And sometimes I read a specific type of book because of its light subject matter and I know I will enjoy it even though I may not learn anything. Nothing wrong with that. :)

      Delete
  7. I recently had to share a very honest review that was not appeasing to many on Amazon too, I was a bit discouraged, but at the same time, I found it necessary to voice my opinion. Like TBM said, "Honest reviews are perfectly acceptable." I seriously love everything about this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Claudia! And I think what bothered me most was she suggested I couldn't appreciate "great" fiction because I read a lot of YA. Who even decides what is "great" anyway? The reader, that's who. :)

      Delete
    2. Meh, sounds like someone who enjoys stirring the pot. That's why I use a crockpot instead ;-P

      Delete
  8. Amazing post Cynthia! So true.
    I'm gonna be honest-I hated both trilogies you mentioned. Do I chime in when someone else hates it and we can discuss it together? Yes. Do I mock the people that loved it?-No. Everyone loves different things. Everyone hates different things. Why would I hate someone for having an opinion about a book when I know that I'm the same-I sometimes hate popular books,and I sometimes love the infamous ones.
    Ah the Amazon thing sucks I'm sorry. It all falls on what people perceive as great fiction doesn't it? We all have our prejudices. I don't think we can ever get rid of them in our heads (I have been guilty of judging too I'm not a saint). But what we do is important. Accepting with our actions is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Anna! I agree, it's one thing to hate a book. That happens. But we shouldn't trash those who like it. I'm glad you aren't judging me for enjoying them. :)

      Delete
  9. Haven't read 50 shades but I'm definitely watching the movie! I love the twilight series both the books and the movies and I hate when people judge the books by their movies. Love this post :)

    Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sofia! I can't wait to see the movie either.

      Delete
  10. I don't judge others based on what they read since I believe people can read what they want. :D

    ReplyDelete