Tuesday, December 16, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Eleanor and Park

This is a book review for Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. This is a book set over the course of one school year in 1986. It is the story of two star crossed misfits: Eleanor, the girl with red hair who gets bullied and has secrets about her family and Park, the only Asian kid in town. They are smart enough to know that first love rarely lasts, but desperate enough to try.

Now first of all, I have to say that I was so surprised to read that last year two parents tried to get this book removed from their library in Minnesota. Not only that, but the parents wanted the librarians who recommended the book to be reprimanded. They called it obscene because there is some foul language in the book. You can read an interview with Rainbow Rowell about it here. I really, really hate censorship. If you don't want your own kids reading this book, that is your choice. But you shouldn't take that choice away from everyone else. I think I loved this book even more after reading about this attempted censorship. Weird, isn't it? Ha.

That being said, I really, really, really loved this book. I think everyone has that first love they remember from back in high school; the one they thought would last forever. This book will remind you of that first love. When Eleanor and Park first meet, they don't like each other very much. Actually, they don't even talk to each other. But then before you know it, they are sharing comics and music and they are always talking. Eleanor's family life was sad and heartbreaking, but it was beautiful the way Park made her happy. Park was really the only thing that made Eleanor happy. I know some people would get thrown off by the fact that their relationship happened really fast. It did seem like one minute they were barely speaking and then the next minute, Park was declaring his love to her. But I think that is how sixteen year olds are . . . at least, from what I remember. Ha. Sixteen year olds make sweeping declarations and they are very dramatic and it is not uncommon for them to think that their relationship will last forever. I loved the banter back and forth between Eleanor and Park. Eleanor was very sarcastic, as am I, which is probably why I could relate to her so well. The author goes back and forth between Eleanor and Park's POV's, but it does not get annoying or distracting.  The ending was heartbreaking and I am still not sure what to make of it though. That is probably the only critique I have. I think she captures the spirit of these teenagers, and first love, very well.

Here are a few of the quotes that I loved:

"Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. Like holding something complete, and completely alive."

"The only thing she didn't like to think about, about Park, was what he could possibly see in her."

"She would never belong in Park's living room. She never felt like she belonged anywhere, except for when she was lying on her bed, pretending to be somewhere else."

I have fallen in love with Rainbow Rowell. This was my first book of hers, but it will not be the last. I give the book a 4/5.

10 comments :

  1. Oh man. You're in a world of joy, then! Rainbow Rowell is an amazing writer. I hope you'll enjoy the rest of her work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyous Reads. If her other books are anything like this one, I know I will love them!

      Delete
  2. Loved, loved, loved this book! I love the description of the handholding -- shows how momentous something like that can be during first love. I've loved everything I've read by Rainbow Rowell, and hope you will too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! I think I actually swooned during that part. Haha. If her other books are anything like this one, I am sure I will love them.

      Delete
  3. I did not love Rainbow Rowell's most recent book, so I suggest reading it next so you can finish up her books by reading great ones! (I liked it, didn't love it)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kwizgiver, which one was the most recent that you did not like?

      Delete
  4. Rainbow Rowell is so incredibly gifted at awakening those "oh to be young and in love" feelings/moments. I haven't read this one, but read Landline and shared a similar experience to the one you shared in this one :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia. I can't wait to read Landline, especially if it is anything like this one. :)

      Delete
  5. This book is definitely on my wishlist! I want to read all of Rainbow Rowell's books, but so far have only read Fangirl. But it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, I think Fangirl is next on my list. I have heard good things. I think you would love Eleanor and Park.

      Delete