Saturday, December 27, 2014

Read Harder Challenge

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! I apologize if I have been late responding to some of the comments. I have been soaking up every minute I can of family time before I leave the States and fly back to Italy, which is TODAY! I really love living in Italy, but I miss my family.

Anyway, today I wanted to talk about the 2015 Read Harder Challenge, hosted by Book Riot. I know, I know, I said I would try not to overwhelm myself with challenges but this one seems kind of fun. There are 24 tasks, so roughly two books a month if you wanted to complete all of them. I like this one because it seems more like a scavenger hunt for books! The tasks are very different so I am hoping they take me out of my comfort zone with books. Sometimes I feel I read the same genre or the same type of author over and over. I hope to change that.

Here are the tasks:
  1. Read a book written by someone when they were under the age of 25.
  2. A book written by someone when they were over the age of 65.
  3. A collection of short stories.
  4. A book published by an indie press.
  5. A book by or about someone who identifies as LGBTQ.
  6. A book by someone whose gender is different from your own.
  7. A book that takes place in Asia.
  8. A book by an author from Africa
  9. A book that is by or about someone from an indigenous culture (Native Americans, Aboriginals, etc.)
  10. A microhistory
  11. A young adult novel
  12. A sci-fi novel
  13. A romance novel 
  14. A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize, or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade.
  15. A book that is the retelling of a classic story (fairytale, classic novel, Shakesperean play, etc.)
  16. An audiobook
  17. A collection of poetry 
  18. A book that someone has recommended to you 
  19. A book that was originally published in another language 
  20. A graphic novel, a graphic memoir or a collection of comics of any kind
  21. A book that you would consider a guilty pleasure (Read, and then realize that good entertainment is nothing to feel guilty over.)
  22. A book published before 1850
  23. A book published this year (2015)
  24. A self-improvement book
You can talk about the challenge on social media with the hashtag #Read Harder. There is a Goodreads group dedicated to this challenge as well. Click here to join that group. I have already joined it! Also if you go to the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge page, they have resources for each category to help.

I am not going to kill myself to finish all 24 tasks since I do have other challenges. But I think it will be fun to try to do a lot of them.

Would you like to join me in this challenge?

17 comments :

  1. Great challenge! I wish you the best of luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The challenges have caught my interest there so many interesting ones so far I haven't tried one. My Goodreads challenge I finished a long time ago so increased it but didn't complete it
    http://idahobluebird50.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty Louise, hope you try this one. :)

      Delete
  3. This looks interesting! I'm going to have to think about joining, I don't want to overwhelm myself with challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand kwizgiver. I am trying not to overwhelm myself either. :)

      Delete
  4. I've seen something like this floating around but it's another one by popsugar (a website). I'm participating in 11 challenges and I said I wasn't going to go crazy but I embrace the crazy now :D
    Have fun with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriana, 11 challenges?? Wow. Good luck! I have seen the one on popsugar but it has a lot more books on it. I would have signed up for it but I am trying my best not to go crazy. Good luck with that, right? Ha

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the challenge! It looks like a great one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would probably bring my signed books and arc copies during an apocalypse hahaha They are my most precious treasures heheh

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this sounds like an amazing challenge and a good one to help anyone expand their reading horizons... Not sure yet if I'll join this one as I'm already committed to an audiobook challenge and banned books challenge. Plus, other books I've committed myself to reading in 2015. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captivated Reader, I understand. This is the third challenge I have decided to do so I think I am at my limit. Ha. But trying to expand my horizons is the main reason I decided to do this one. I feel like I am always reading the same type of book or same type of author,

      Delete
  8. I'm so in for this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm also going to do the Read Harder challenge! I'm so excited about it. I'm a little obsessed with Book Riot right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I am too! I love them! Good luck on the challenge. :)

      Delete