Monday, December 15, 2014

Musing Monday

Musing Monday is a weekly meme hosted by MizB of Should be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do one of the following:
  • Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
  • What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
  • Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
  • Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
  • Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
Today's musing is about a quote that I read in a recent book, The Girl with all the Gifts. That book was so good (click here to read review). This was one of those books where I kept highlighting different passages because there was so much that stood out to me.

Did a quote ever jump out at you so much that you just had to stop and think about it for a few minutes? This was one of the quotes that gave me pause:

"When your dream comes true, your true has moved."

I interpret that quote to mean that once you achieve one dream, you move on to another one. It is a quote that stands out to me in my own life. I am the type of person who always thinks once one dream is realized, I will finally be happy. But usually I just move on to the next dream. That is probably why that quote spoke to me so much.

I love writing that makes you think. That is the power of words. The great thing about this quote is that it could be interpreted in a variety of ways, depending on the reader.

How would you interpret that quote? Are there any quotes you have read in recent books that made you stop and think?
 

19 comments :

  1. What a fantastic quote! And, I think you hit the nail on the head with your interpretation of it, although I can't say for sure having not read this book yet. It's on my TBR though!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmel! I hope you enjoy it as well. It was a great book.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I like that quote!

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2014/12/musing-mondays.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quote...and I think we are always reaching for more...but we need to remember that happiness is not a destination, but a feeling that we can grab now and then. We should savor those moments.

    Here's my musing: INTERIOR THOUGHTS: MUSINGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I try to remember that, but I am still a work in progress. Haha

      Delete
  4. One of the best things about reading is when the book 'speaks to you' The quote you have chosen is one that lots of us could do with heeding.

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cleo. I think that is a sign of a great writer when they can do that. :)

      Delete
  5. This is indeed a GREAT quote! What makes a really profound quote is the statement of a basic truth in concise language that carries immediate impact, and this one certainly does!

    I do sometimes find myself pausing as I'm reading to ponder a specific sentence or passage. Of course, it all depends on the genre; classics and literary fiction lend themselves more to memorable quotes.

    Interesting stuff! I must look further into this meme! Thanks for sharing!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read this book!
    And I agree, I interpret the quote kind of the same way, when one dream comes true, you move onto another! Thanks for sharing (:

    Cyn @ Bookmunchies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyn. Hope you get to it soon. It was really good!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love quotes! I agree, writing that reaches out and speaks to is the best, I love finding hidden gems in books that you wouldn't think would have the best quotes ever.

    Recently I've been re-reading Harry Potter, so I'm sure most people already know the best quotes by heart!

    To me, that quote also means to like enjoy your dream while you have it because it won't always be a dream... If that makes sense at all! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Nobody that does make sense. That is a great interpretation also. I actually have never read the Harry Potter series (I know, gasp! ha), but I think I may one of these days. :)

      Delete
  8. You're right, that's a fabulous quote!

    here's mine; http://editingeverything.com/bookish-thoughts-2/monday-musings-something-has-made-me-dread-the-ending-in-the-book-im-reading-right-now/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading books that make me a contemplative participant as well. That's a great quote. :)

    ReplyDelete