Sunday, December 7, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Namesake



This is a book review for The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. This book tells the story of the Ganguli family, following them from their life in Calcutta to their immigration to America. The story starts with the story of Ashima and her new husband Ashoke. Theirs is an arranged marriage, as is the custom. Ashima does not adapt to America nearly as well as her husband. She resists American customs and pines for her family. When she becomes pregnant with her first child, she becomes even more homesick. She has to deal with strange doctors and cold hospitals with no family around. Ashima and Ashoke give their son the odd name of Gogol. The continuing theme of the book is how Gogol adapts, both to his name and his heritage. 

Gogol was born American, but because his parents are Indian he feels torn between the two cultures. He feels embarrassed by his mother's ways, the food they eat and birthplace of Calcutta. When Gogol and his sister travel to Calcutta with their parents, they feel out of place and can't wait to get back to their American food and their American music. This book tells Gogol's story from his POV for decades, following him through high school, college and his many love affairs with American women. I thought Lahiri's description of Indian cultures and food was riveting and I thought she did a great job of detailing the struggle between two cultures that Gogol was feeling. And I am a lover of food, so I loved the descriptions of all the different kinds of food, Indian, French, Italian; the descriptions were so vibrant that I felt as if I were there eating it. I got very hungry. Ha. This book is really a great story about a struggle so many immigrants must face: the decision to completely ignore one's ethnic identity in order to blend in. 

As fascinating as this story was, I wasn't a fan of the writing style. It was more a summary than a narrative. For example, the author would say "The Gangulis have moved" or "Gogol has enrolled in college" or "Gogol meets a girl." This kind of writing style left me feeling a bit disconnected from the characters and the story. Each chapter was a different year and it would take a minute or two to connect the dots on everything that had happened.

I would recommend this book, especially if you like to read about other cultures besides your own. I just wouldn't expect too much excitement from it. I give this book a 3/5.

4 comments :

  1. I read Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri a couple of years ago... Even though I thought her writing style was good, I found most of the short stories presented were too depressing for my tastes. I'd thought of giving The Namesake a try, by after reading your review of it I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captivated Reader, other reviews I read about her other books were favorable, but based on this one I wouldn't read anything else by her.

      Delete
  2. Oh I don't think I'd enjoy that type of story telling as well. It doesn't really stimulates the readers' imagination. Too many how, why, what, where left unanswered makes for a frustrating read. I think I'll pass on this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyousreads, you are right that the book was a bit on the frustrating side!

      Delete