Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday


This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. They feature a different top ten list every week. This week's topic: top ten books I wouldn't mind Santa bringing me this year.



  1. The Hunger Games trilogy box set by Suzanne Collins - Yes I have already read this set but I had borrowed it. Seeing the most recent movie made me want to reread the entire series. It has been a while!
    
    2.  Rick Steves' Prague and the Czech Republic - Yes of course there is a travel book on my list. 
         Living in Italy means lots of opportunity for travel. My husband and I are planning a possible trip 
         to Prague for my birthday in May. And Rick Steves travel books are the best!


     3   The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - I have never read this book, but it is a classic. Shocker, but it is not 
          available on Kindle. D'oh! 


     4.  E.B. White box set with Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little and The trumpet of the swan - Believe it
         or not, I have never read Charlotte's Web! How on earth is that possible?? I have never read any  
         of those books by E.B. White so I would love this box set!


     5.  Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - I just read Eleanor and Park and absolutely loved it (click here for
          my review)! Reading the reviews for this one makes me want to read it even more.

    6.  The Lottery and other Stories by Shirley Jackson - Have you ever read The Lottery? Scariest 
         short story ever! I read it in junior high and it has still stuck with me. I would love to read the 
         story again, along with some of her other stuff since that story is the only thing I have ever read
         by her. This book is also one of the ones I will be reading for my 2015 Banned Book Challenge.



     7.  The Bookshop Book by Jen Campbell - A book about bookshops? Sign me up! Would it be 
         weird if I planned my Europe travel around different bookstores? Or would it be weird if I didn't?


    8.  Redeployment by Phil Klay - This book has been getting so much buzz this year. It tells of 
         different soldiers, what they go through in times of war, and the struggles they face returning 
         home to their "normal" lives. I have only read a sample, but it seems like a beautiful book.


     9.  The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan - A young woman with a 
         promising future ahead of her dies in a sudden accident just five days after graduating from Yale.
        These are essays written by her and they have received so much love from reviewers that I need to
        see what the fuss is about.



    10.  Infinity + One by Amy Harmon - Harmon's book The Law of Moses is one of my favorite 
          books I have read this year. It blew me away (click here for my review). Reviews are just as
         good for her other book as well.


Of course I also wouldn't mind an Amazon gift card. Hint, hint. Ha

Are there any books you wouldn't mind getting for Christmas?

20 comments :

  1. I've always wanted to read The Opposite of Loneliness, but non-fiction territory tends to make me anxious. Anyway, I hope you'll get at least an Amazon gift card. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyous Reads, I know what you mean and I tend to agree. I think I have read two nonfiction books the whole year. But this one has gotten such good reviews that I really want to give it a shot.

      Delete
  2. You have excellent choices here Cynthia! I actually only own The Mockingjay out of the entire HG series ha ha! I wouldn't mind receiving the full collection. Also Fangirl! I've yet to read this! I have only read Landline, this was my first Rowell read.

    Wishing you a warm and happy holiday!

    Sparrow's TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia. I have heard mixed reviews about Landline, but I have heard great things about Fangirl. I can't wait to read it.

      Delete
  3. Fangirl is so amazing! I hope you get a copy. I completely forgot that I wanted to include that Shirley Jackson story collection on my wishlists this year. I read two of her novels this past year, and want to read some stories too. (I've read The Lottery, but none of her others). And Redeployment has been on my radar for a while. I hope you get lots of good books as gifts -- or that gift card you're hoping for. Merry Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bookshelffantasies.com, I have not read anything of Shirley Jackson's besides The Lottery either but I really want to!

      Delete
  4. I need my own set of The Hunger Games, I can't believe I still don't own these! And Fangirl is one of the best books ever IMO and it's so pretty and yes you need this for your shelves :)

    Happy Holidays!
    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I have heard great things about Fangirl. I really need that one!

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't mind if some of these books ended up under my tree. I really hope you find at least of few of them under yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing Bookshop Book. How did I miss this? Am I losing my touch?!

    Here's my Top Ten Books I Hope Santa Brings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Deb Nance, maybe you are. ;) Glad I could pass along the word!

      Delete
  7. Nice list of books on your list this week. I hope you receive all of them from Santa!! Happy holidays to you and happy reading in the new year.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my book blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captivated Reader. thanks so much and happy holidays to you!

      Delete
  8. I definitely need THG series for my collection!! I don't know why I don't have it... I hope you get some of these books!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rachel! I hope Santa brings some of them to me also. :)

      Delete
  9. Yes, yes, get THG! I have it in all kinds of formats, but my favorite is the foil edition boxed set! And so weird that The Bell Jar isn't on Kindle! I need Fangirl immediately, and the Bookshop Book sounds SO cute! And yes, you DO need to plan your trips around bookstores for sure ;) Oh, and I am with you on Rick Steves. His books are by far the best. Prague sounds amazing! Hope you get lots of these books :)

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shannon. I really, really want the nice foil edition of THG. I hope I get that one, along with the others. :)

      Delete
  10. Fangirl is on my to-read shelf on goodreads and I have heard so many good things about it! Hope you get it. Happy holidays :)

    Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sofia, I hope so too! I love Rowell and I have heard it is amazing!

      Delete