Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday

This is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. They feature a different top ten list every week. I decided to join in on the fun this week because no one loves a good list like I do!

This week's topic: top ten new to me authors I read in 2014. I also decided to participate in this list because I am still new to the blogging community. I started the blog in November. Since I have read a lot of books this year, I thought it might be fun to let you guys know what I read pre-blog!

1. Katjia Millay with The Sea of Tranquility - I really wish I had been blogging when I read this book so I could express to all of you just how much I LOVED this book. Really, it was one of my favorites this year. It blew me away. Read this book!

2. Jojo Moyes with Me Before You - I fell in love with Jojo Moyes with this book and I have read four of her other books since this one. I have loved every one!

3. George Orwell with 1984 - Glad I finally read this classic. It was an eye-opener.

4. Lois Lowry with The Giver - I was late to the game with this series, but I enjoyed it. Another book to movie adaptation that I haven't seen yet!

5. Laura Florand with The Chocolate Thief - This was my first book I read by her, but it was not the last! I have loved just about every other book of hers. You can read my review of her book The Chocolate Heart here.

6. Amy Harmon with The Law of Moses - I absolutely loved this book. You can click here for my review. I already have my eye on her other two books. Must read for sure!

7. Oliver Potzsch with The Hangman's Daughter - I actually enjoyed this book way more than I thought I would. And this reminds me that I haven't read the others in the series. If you like mysteries that have a certain paranormal element, you would love this one.

8. Roxanne Gray with Bad Feminist - This was a great book and I don't even like nonfiction that much. Her fiction book, The Untamed State, is on my Kindle just begging to be read (like so many others).

9. Margaret Atwood with The Handmaid's Tale - This is another classic that I was late to the party on. Another very eye-opening book. Loved this one!

10. Blake Crouch with The Wayward Pines trilogy - Hands down one of my favorite series this year. The finale of this series was so intense I actually had to take a break from reading it because my heart was pounding so hard. And after this series, I took a break from reading for a couple of weeks. I was just emotionally drained after reading this series. And this is being made into a TV series starring Matt Dillon. It will premier next year!!


What new to you authors did you read this year?

22 comments :

  1. I looove Jojo Moyes. That woman can write! You must read her The Girl You Left Behind. So good! I also have Laura Florand on my horizon for my holiday reads so I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joyous Reads, that is one of the other books I read by her this year. LOVED it!! Hope you enjoy Laura Florand. :)

      Delete
  2. Great list! I loved The Sea of Tranquililty, and only recently discovered Jojo Moyes as well. The Handmaid's Tale has been one of my favorites for a long time, and I should probably read it again one of these days! And I've been wanting Bad Feminist for a while. If none of my family members spring for it as a gift, I'll have to buy myself a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad someone loved Sea of Tranquility as much as I did. Ha! Definitely get yourself a copy of Bad Feminist. It's awesome. :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the book blogging world! It's such a fun place to be :)

    I hadn't read THE GIVER in a long, long time, so I re-read it this year, along with MESSENGER and GATHERING BLUE. I need to read SON before the year's out. Such a thought-provoking series, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I totally agree . . . they are very thought provoking. It's weird that I waited so long to read it. I did read the others in the series as well. I love Lois Lowry!

      Delete
  4. I love, love Margaret Atwood's writing!! I've been a fan of her novels sins the mid-1990s... I also read The Giver by Lois Lowry (I think last year??) and loved it!! I have yet to see the movie version, but want to. Thanks for stopping by and posting to my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, typo sins is suppose to be since.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Captivated Reader! I haven't seen the movie The Giver yet either. I hear they did change a few things so I am interested to see how it holds up against the book.

      Delete
  5. Wow you have some good books on your list and it is good to share! I love Jojo Moyes too and 1984 is one of my favourite books of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Cleo. 1984 was a great book!

      Delete
  6. Jojo made my list too. I have read Handmaid's Tale but nothing else by Atwood, although many of her books are on my TBR. I really need to read The Giver! Maybe next year I will marathon all the books in that series!
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should fitnesshealthandbooks! The Giver is a great book.

      Delete
  7. A couple titles I have to check out. I also loved your first two books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked The Sea of Tranquility, too--good read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost added Lois Lowry, as I just read The Giver this year too, but then I remembered that I basically binged on her Anastasia Krupnik books as a kid, so that was out ;)

    I need to read The Law of Moses, Me Before You, and The Sea of Tranquility so very badly. And I would also like to read something by Margaret Atwood too, it seems ridiculous that I haven't! GREAT list!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I actually haven't read anything else by Lois Lowrry, but I think I should.

      Delete
  10. I loved Sea Of Tranquility! I just read it and was like "mind. blown.".

    I can't believe I didn't think of Lois Lowry, I read the Giver for the first time earlier this year and literally just saw the movie!

    Nobody@TheStoryGoes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody, I am so glad that someone else's mind was blown by that book too. I wanted to reread it as soon as I finished it! I still haven't seen The Giver movie, but I want to really badly.

      Delete
  11. I've been meaning to read Jojo Moyes, but she has so many books, I have no idea where to start! Do you think Me Before You is a good place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bornandread.com, I think Me Before You is a great place to start. That was the very first book I read by her as well. Then it set off a domino effect where I read her other stuff. Hope you enjoy her books! I know I do. :)

      Delete