Thursday, December 18, 2014

2015 Banned Books Challenge


I have decided to enter a new challenge for 2015. I am already doing the 2015 TBR Pile Challenge hosted by Roof Beam Reader. I am still new to the blogging world, but I have seen numerous challenges floating around. I am trying not to commit to too many challenges. I don't want to feel stuck and read something just for a challenge. I would like to read stuff that I actually want to read. 

I saw that Buckling Bookshelves was hosting a Banned Books Challenge and I decided I really wanted to participate in this one. I really hate censorship and I would love to give these books some much needed love. 

I decided to sign up for Level of a Revolution (15+ challenged books). I really don't feel this sticks me in a corner too much because most of these books are ones I have been meaning to read anyway. And with the number of books I read this year, I don't think 15 in 2015 is too high a number for this challenge. For more details or to sign up, click here.

Here are the books I plan on reading for this challenge (this may change):

  1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (re-read)
  2. Beloved by Toni Morrison
  3. The Lord of the Flies by William Golding (re-read)
  4. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  5. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 
  6. Looking for Alaska by John Green
  7. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (re-read)
  8. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
  9. What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones
  10. Forever by Judy Blume
  11. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
  12. Blubber by Judy Blume (re-read)
  13. Women on Top: How Real Life Has Changed Women's Fantasies by Nancy Friday
  14. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 
  15. The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson
Have you read any of the books on this list? Are you participating in any 2015 challenges? 

20 comments :

  1. Some great books in there! Happy reading :)

    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great challenge! I think I will wait to see if I can manage this. But I'm excited to see what you read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Kill a Mockingbird and Fahrenheit 451 are my favorites from your list. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I am really excited about Fahrenheit 451. I have heard great things. And I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird since high school so it will be good to read that one again.

      Delete
  4. To Kill a Mockingbird played as a movie club discussion for me this year :) It was so refreshing and I bet it will be for you too when you read it; writing styles have changed drastically since then :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia. Yeah, I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird since high school. Considering how many books I have read over the years, it will be interesting to see how it compares. I am sure I will still love it though.

      Delete
  5. Ooo, this looks like a great challenge. I love, love, love banned books and it looks like you are going to read a lot of great picks in 2015! Good luck on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! I think some of the best books are ones that are banned. :)

      Delete
  6. That's a great looking list. I just LOVE Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. My sister bought me this big ass collector's edition of all of Lewis Carroll's stories a few Christmases ago. Good luck with your goals!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmel. I can't believe I haven't read that one yet but I am excited to read it for this challenge.

      Delete
  7. Great list! I've always loved Judy Blume's books & now encourage my daughters to read them! I've read a few others on your list, but Judy Blume's are my favorites! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia. Judy Blume was a favorite of mine as a child. Blubber was such a good book.

      Delete
  8. What a great goal! Be warned, though, those Morrison books can get very hard to read, due to some of the content. I eventually had to put down The Bluest Eye and I don't think I'll be able to pick it back up. It was almost as hard to read as Bastard Out of Carolina.

    I hope you enjoy Fahrenheit 451 (it's one of my favs!) and Looking for Alaska, though!

    Lovely blog! I followed via Bloglovin!

    Brittany @ http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany. I have heard that about Morrison's books so maybe it will help if I am more prepared going in. Of course since I have two Morrison books on my list, there is a chance I may have to change one of those to something a bit lighter. Ha

      Delete
  9. Oh what a fun challenge!! I loved To Kill A Mockingbird. Lord of the Flies was so crazy... Good luck on the challenge! Happy Holidays!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I can't wait to reread both of those books. Those are my favorites but I haven't read them since high school. Crazy!

      Delete
  10. So many great choices! At least half of these I would like to read or re-read myself for the challenge. Thanks for joining Cynthia & have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I am looking forward to this challenge!

      Delete