Saturday, December 6, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: The Law of Moses

This is a review for The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon. You can see my teaser for the book here. I had not actually heard about this book until a few weeks ago. Right before Thanksgiving, I read a blog post from a fellow book blogger who raved about the book. The publication date was November 21 and I preordered it on a whim. I am so glad I did.

Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager. And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. 

This line is from the prologue of the book:

"If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare."

First of all, this story actually had a paranormal element that was not made clear by the blurb. By the blurb, I thought it would be a straight forward romance. Oh, but it was so much more. Moses can see the dead. He usually sees them when he has a connection to someone who was left behind. The dead don't talk to him; they show him images, which he can't help but paint. These paintings are what get him in trouble with the town. He doesn't paint on paper; he paints on barns and bridges and overpasses. Everyone in town is scared by his paintings, especially images of the dead. People assume Moses is crazy. Then he meets a neighbor girl, Georgia. Georgia is a small town girl, a tomboy who is drawn to Moses. Everyone is afraid of Moses, except for Georgia and this scares him. I really couldn't help but love Moses. The book alternates between Georgia's POV and Moses's POV, but never does it get confusing. I actually liked Moses's POV better. This is more than just a love story; it is a story of beginnings and endings. It is a story of mystery and suspense. I really like this book would be all about the romance, but it's not. The romance is just one element of this enthralling story about second chances. I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't read it. Honestly, I can only say so much without giving away the plot and I don't want to do that. But I will say that I had no idea how this book was going to end. It was a mystery that kept me on the edge of my seat until the very last page. I adore books that are not predictable and Amy Harmon's beautiful writing style makes it that much easier to love this book.

I cannot think of one thing to change about this book. I give it a 5/5.




4 comments :

  1. So glad you loved it!! I hope that blogger was me heheh I'm an evil blogger LOL

    I also thought it was going to be just romance, but the paranormal element kinda blended well into the book so it didn't matter to me that he could see the dead but it took a big role in the book. A lot of readers disliked it because of the surprising genre. :( How sad…I'm so used to paranormal so I wasn't bothered.

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes Chyna you were that evil blogger!! Hahaha. I like your kind of evil. :) I have read other paranormal books as well so I wasn't bothered by it. But it does seem like even people who don't normally like paranormal books would like this. The story is just so well written!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I must read this book! My goodness, it sounds amazing! I love that it isn't just romance. Even though I enjoy a good romance, I like when there is more to the story, and just based on your review, I kind of NEED to know what happens! I am so glad this was such a great book, I am off to add it to my wish list!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Shannon, you really need to read this one! Let me know if you get it and what you think of it. :)

      Delete